Tenting....

neildon

I don't think any of you have seen our tent.

It wasn't easy to put up when we first bougght it, however when things went wrong and we took it back to Midas we were not only sherwn how to errect it but also to put it away.

If you follow those procedures it's easy.

We can drop the tent and pack the Defender in an hour. Less if we haven't taken everything out on a one nighter.

We've had this one sice 2004 and we're well used to it. Looking about I's buy the same again but the price would frighten my here in the UK

I have one of these http://www.millets.co.uk/camping/tents/pop-up-tents/product/095914.html

Got it in the sale a while ago to replace a traditional 4 man i had. Very quick to put up and take down and a lot warmer than the 4 man ever was. I'm 6'4 and fit in it no probs but you would have to be good friends with the second person, plus all you can do in it is sleep, any cooking etc has to be done outside and theres no storage space, stuff in the car overnight then in the tent whilst you play. Also the pegs are rubbish, but what tent comes with good pegs?

We do the camping thing quite regularly.

A good friend of mine swears by, as opposed to swearing at his Khyam.

We have a large family, and so we went for a Outwell Vermont XL. This does take a wee while to set up, and likewise to put down again.

We bought it to replace our old trailer tent.

The beauty of the old trailer tent was, all our kit could be stored inside the trailer, and fairly quickly set up. Advantage being, only dragged it too the site, easy set up, and we could still use the landy!

The main problem with the cheap pop up tents we've found is they don't last long, not very sturdy and are a false economy.

So it's the old pays your money, take your choice. All the options have pro's and cons.

• 3 weeks later...

i dont know if your still lookin for info but...i do loads of sleepouts and have developed a kind of system that i trust. i tweek it depending on weather conditions etc but basically it stays the same.

a tent is only really as good as the terrain its built for and many things that people carry is in my opinion a waste of space, my 1st advice is this whichever tent you have always carry a decent length of sisal and a decent sheet of strong plastic sheeting .(pref with eyelets) and assuming your using the landrover as your mule and weight isnt a problem then carry a few rocks that youve drilled and fixed steel rings into. (6 makes it really secure!!)

the other single best advice is put everything in plastic bags even though you have the car there.

this post may seem anal but it helps with the comfort .(and the girls just love comfort) :wub:

I have a Vango Delta from Go Outdoors for about £60 it takes about 5 mins to put up, it's a 3 person so room for kit as well.

The other option is Decathlon do those tents that pop up in a few seconds, don't look very strong though!

Edited by headhunter
To remove easy speak! Your post is welcome but please make an effort to write clearly, remember this forum has a wide international following so it is important that what is posted is understandable to those who do not have fluent English!

• 1 month later...

Vango do pop-ups now, though there new website makes them harder to find than their old one . . .

I've had a small traditional Vango since 1983 - bomb-proof. Got a family one last year - cannot fault it. Very interested in whether one of their pop-up's can sensibly be put on a roof rack.

Vango are my preferred choice for tents, (no connection other than as a ciustomer).

Regards

Richard

I agree. My Vango dome is 16 years old now and still going strong. I also have a 1 second pop up tent that I bought for 25 EURO from a Decathlon store in Germany. I bought the smallest size which fits nicely on the roof rack :)

Last time I was over in the UK I noticed that there was a Decathlon store at Thurrock. Never, went in but other kit I have bought from them in the past has been good too, especially heavy duty canvas trousers with big pockets to fill with rubbish :)