Removing the Bulkhead

Retroanaconda

Hi chaps, just a quickie this time.

What's the best way of undoing the steering system linkage in order to lift the bulkhead off?

I've disconnected everything else, and I'm not quite sure where in the system is the best point to free off so that I can remove the main mounts and get it off :)

Cheers

James

I always found the drop arm straight off the box to be a bit of b1@tch.

I tend to undo the top arm off the servo that passes through the front crossmember (Mark its alignment first) then flip the whole lot up and lash it to the bulkhead for removal.

Once you have undone the bolt through the arm, you will need to with draw the bolt, as it holds the arm on even if it works loose.

If you find the arm is stuck, loosen the bolt then rock the steering left and right and it should free up, and just slide off.

Are you saying that the bolt sits in a groove, which stops the arm coming of the top steering relay shaft?

Yes.

If you are removing the bulkhead support arm with the bulkhead, then you could disconnect the ball joint at the bottom of the steering box drop arm. The alternative is that you remove the drop arm off the steering box. These are the only two ways with the battery tray in place and without removing the steering box completely from the bulkhead.

No need to remove the steering gear from the chassis - I just undo the bolts securing the steering box brackets to the footwell and the column to the bulkhead and lift the bulkhead over the column leaving the steering on the chassis.

If you want to remove the column break one of the drag link balljoints - either from the relay or the drop arm, undo the 3 bolts securing the box mount to the chassis and take the thing off the bulkhead - or leave it on and separate it from the bulkhead when you've taken the whole thing away. (Its heavy - and if you put it flat with the column on the ground oil will out of the column)