hard starting after standing

The 300tdi takes ages to fire up after standing over night. This problem gradually became worse.

It's not the glow plugs or other electrics.

I have changed the lift pump without improvement.

After it started once it starts on the first turn as usual all the day, even if cold.

I think that there is air getting in somewhere.

There is no loss of power.

Could anyone please give me a hint where to look first.

It's damn cold here (-15) and I would like to spend as less time as possible outside searching for the cause.

Many thanks for ideas.

I once read in a mag- I think it was kev baldwin who wrote about having trouble starting his 300 TDI disco he got the advice from one of the diesel tuners he advanced his one by adjusting the fuel injection pulley through the hole in the timing case by advancing it

This apparently sorted his problem out

HTH

John

My 200Tdi does something similar when left for a few days. I believe it's fuel getting in through the drain-back lines off the injectors. If it was in the high-pressure lines I'm sure there would be a leak due to the ridiculous PSIs in the injector lines.

I have to prime the fuel pump manually if I want it to start up straight away :)

Thanks for the replies.

Today at - 15 there was no chance of getting it started. Only after preheating the entire engine with a gas heater he fired up.

Ok, I do understand that -15 might be on the tight side anyway for a diesel, but hard starting after standing for a while was a problem even at temperetures around +10 degrees. I have tried to prime the system manually, but this didn't help.So I think that the leak in the fuel delivery system is ruled out.

At the moment I'm really considering that the timing might be slightly out. However, a quick check with the timing pins showed that at least the pump-flywheel timing is correct.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated?