wheel fitments across discovery range

Mr Alford

morning gents,

i have a discovery 1 300tdi and i need to chnge the rims on it as theyre no good for motorways and im not using it offroad, ive got my challenge truck for that

here is my current wheel choice tha will be up for sale shortly

IMG00260-20091020-1808.jpg

IMG00261-20091020-1808.jpg

i have my eye on some discovery 3 wheels will they fit???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130361225985&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

how frustrating ill get on the case to try and find a wheel adaptor but i have a feeling its going to double the cost of changing the wheels over

Disco I, RRC, and Defender alloys will fit, so there should be plenty of choice

either new or used. How are the rims not suitable? surely it has more to do

with the tyres.

how frustrating ill get on the case to try and find a wheel adaptor but i have a feeling its going to double the cost of changing the wheels over

Why are you making a rod for your own back so-to-speak? Standard Disco 1 alloys with nice road tyres on are cheap and easy to find due to people upgrading to offroad tyres or scrapping the vehicle. All the options you've mentioned will require expensive adaptors (£300 plus I think) plus any 18" or 19" wheels will make the truck ride noticably harsher, and the D3 wheels will have larger diameter tyres messing up the gearing.

Also what's wrong with your existing setup, I run 255/70/16 all terrians on my D2 which I use for towing all around the UK and Europe (went to Romainia and Monaco this summer), it runs great and quiet on the motorway.

ive had them balanced at 2 places now and at 70 mph the whole care starts shaking like a ****ting dog, those tyres are quiet on the road, all wheelbearings and drivetrain are on the button so no issues there

wud anyone recommend the balnacing beads for tyres like that?

ive had them balanced at 2 places now and at 70 mph the whole care starts shaking like a ****ting dog, those tyres are quiet on the road, all wheelbearings and drivetrain are on the button so no issues there

wud anyone recommend the balnacing beads for tyres like that?

I'd say you've got a problem there, are the tyres a brand (BF Goodrich, or General Grabber) or are they a budget re-mould? My General Grabbers run smooth up to ***mph, so if you've had them balanced a couple of times and they still vibrate then it's a good chance you've got a duff tyre or wheel, or it's something else. Have you checked the prop UJs for play?

The only time I've used balancing beads on a road car was on our Hummer H1, which ran Goodyear 37x12.5x16.5 military tyres that we couldn't get properly balanced. Beads sorted it out allowing you to cruise smoothly.

If it's something else in the drivetrain then bigger wheels and tyres with spacers will probably make things worse!

I read about something similar recently,

One problem you can get with steel wheels is that the center hole is not exactly in the middle or is too big for the cone type adapter on a normal balancing rig.

Sometimes you can only balance them properly with a proper 5-stud adapter to center the wheel properly.

I know when I had my 265/75R16 Cooper STT muds balanced, the four main alloys were fine and balanced up no problem, but the garage couldn't do the spare because the standard disco steel wheel I had had too big a center hole for their balancing machine!

Steve.