Stonehenge byway closure

floyd fan

floyd fan,

Would you mind posting the following regarding the Stonehenge byway closure thread around a few 4x4 forums, we need all the help we can get.

Stonehenge Byways Traffic Regulation Orders

Area: Wiltshire

Deadline for objections: 15th February 2010

Further info: http://www.trailbikemag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18846

**IMPORTANT** If you have commented previously on the Planning Application run by Salisbury Planning Office (see previous post above), which included proposals to TRO the byways, to ensure your comments are included in this new consultation you need to re-submit your objections to WCC, details at the link below;

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/council/consultations/troconsultations/trostonehengeprohibitionondriving.htm

Byways under threat;

North of A303 - BOATs Amesbury 12 & Durrington 10.

South of A303 - BOATs Bewick St. James11, Wilsford Cum Lake 1, Amesbury 11, Wilsford Cum Lake 2 & Woodford 16.

I got this from SCOR last week but have not had much time to do anything about it.

Hi guys

I am sorry to take up your in box but I must warn you of further lane closures around Salisbury Plain.

It would seem that more of our green lanes are under threat from Wiltshire Council. The excuse this time is to improve amenities around the historic site of Stonehenge. But they have gone to far.

Everyone agrees that the historic lanes that are opposite Stone hedge BOAT’s Amesbury 12 and Durrington 10 should close in order to give the site its look as it was in pre historic times.

But Wiltshire Council also wants to close the lanes that run up to Stonehenge from the south again to improve the amenities. The BOAT’s are Berwick St James 11, Wilsford Cum lake 1(SU 099394 to SU 1174180) Wilsford cum lake 2 and Amesbury 11 (SU 128388 to SU 121419). But how could they as they are south of the A303 and play no part in the look or the amenities for Stonehenge as anything on this side of the A303 would have to cross this most dangerous road.

The only persons who would gain from these lanes closures’ are the landowners on either side (some 6 people) who would gain exclusive use of these historic and beautiful lanes, as either farm tracks or their own personal gallops. The council would be effectively giving land away.

These lanes have been used from the time of the building of Stonehenge probably for the transporting of good to and from the site when it was being built. I urge you to go to the Wiltshire council web site and lodge your view and comments that these BOATs stay open to all traffic and are not closed for ever.

The link below will take you straight to the site where you can e-mail from or use the on line form .

I urge you to do this as soon as possible as they closing date for this proposal is 15 February 2010

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/council/consultations/troconsultations/trostonehengeprohibitionondriving.htm

Thanks and please let me know how you got on.

Tony Wingrove

SCOR Magazine Editor

Randonnee Co-ordinator and CoC

01722 504402

07790 248526

• 2 weeks later...

My objection has been resent, thanks for letting us know that the original objections to the planning application, are not being applied to the tro consultation :rolleyes: I have let others know and they will resend their objections too.

'World heritage' should be putting effort into saving these ancient rights of way, they are just as much a part of our past as Stonehenge is, instead of pursuing a picture postcard image of the area that would mask its past, not enhance it.

Buzz.

Anyone else get this as a response...

"Thank you for your recent email regarding the above proposal.

All correspondence of objection or support for this proposal will be considered in a future report.

If you do not wish your name to be included in the report relating to your representations (a) being made available for public inspection or (b) being published on the Wiltshire Council Website please inform me by responding to this email.

I will write to you again when I have more information regarding the proposal"

We were intending doing these in early May... let's hope the wheels of 'democracy' turn a little slower...

• 3 months later...

My dad and i and a couple of friends drove along it the other day. Although it was busy with cars that had overflowed from the main Stonehenge car park, it wasnt badly cut up. There were occasional big holes but they could be easily avoided by going on the wide verges( if you were in a car). I think all the local authority needs to do is put up signs saying "Not suitable for Motor Vehicles" or "Not suitable for low riding vehicles". Unfortunately in this "nanny" state we live in it would be easier for the authorty to close the lane and they wouldnt have to maintain it. People can't exactly use it as a rat run.