Replacing my sills

rmtucker

Well i took the plunge about a week ago and bought my first run down Discovery.

So far I have done the following all with help from this forum:

Water Pump replaced

Thermostat

V Belts

Dashboard totally removed and heater repaired.

Flasher relay replaced.

Outer sill replacement (Ongoing).

I bought the sills from Yrm metal solutions yesterday morning,i then got a phone call about 1pm to say do you want to pick them up?

It turned out they are only down the road :rolleyes:

Anyway they were big enough to cut down the lengnth so i could use part of it for the inner sills aswell (nice neat job).

Some pics

Regards

Mark

post-21598-126479397134_thumb.jpg

post-21598-126479399298_thumb.jpg

post-21598-126479401391_thumb.jpg

post-21598-126479402762_thumb.jpg

I really really hope I am wrong, but you might want to check:

front bulkhead body mounts (in the engine bay)

headlamp surrounds

rear cross-member

rear seatbelt mounts (actually perhaps you should look at these first)

etc

etc

If you just accept the fact that you will be welding something every couple of months, you will be much happier.. ;)

Bloody hell are you phsycic ? blink.gif

looking at where you got the tin worm on the n/s rear seatbelt mount looks exactly the same as mine did.

think you will find a leak in the drain channel up above the rear seat locking catch.

that is where my water "ingressed" in and did all the damage. thought it was a leaking alpine light but it wasnt.

runs down the pillar and either drips over wheel arch and pools in rear passanger footwell or gets under the deadening and does that to the boot floor.

i got exactly the same. see the same pictures on my thread about boot floor!!

Bloody hell are you phsycic ? :blink:

Here's my latest discovery - it is difficult even to see it with the engine in place, ne'mind repair:

gallery_3439_704_75874.jpg

Of course when repairing it I then needed to cut away part of the inner wing and I found a fist sized hole opened up in the driver's footwell :(

Oh joy of joys, doing exactly the same job trying to save mine from the Knackers yard. Done the inner wings and the O/S bulkhead (footwell) so far. YRM do the panels for the side of the boot floor too, having a bit of trouble identifying the boot floor crossmembers at the moment though, Microcat seems to show them but can't work out which one goes where or haw many there should be, any ideas?

Cheers

Andy

hi the cross members.

if you go to paddacks, you will need:

the box sectioned one with the cable support under it. this is the 3rd one if you count forward from the boot door.

the other box sectioned one is 2nd from the boot door.

then the 1st and 4th ones are the same part number. (they are flat metal, not box section)

hope this helps, i dont have part numbers to hand, but if you look at pictures on the paddocks catologue online, it is easy to recognise them.

regards,

Neil.

Oh joy of joys, doing exactly the same job trying to save mine from the Knackers yard. Done the inner wings and the O/S bulkhead (footwell) so far. YRM do the panels for the side of the boot floor too, having a bit of trouble identifying the boot floor crossmembers at the moment though, Microcat seems to show them but can't work out which one goes where or haw many there should be, any ideas?

Cheers

Andy

Hi,

when i replaced my rear floor cross members i declined to use the LR made ones as they were a sodding fortune, i used if memory serves 50mm x 10mm x 2mm box section,the box section cost me less for all of it that one cross member.

Regards

Keith

Hi,

when i replaced my rear floor cross members i declined to use the LR made ones as they were a sodding fortune, i used if memory serves 50mm x 10mm x 2mm box section,the box section cost me less for all of it that one cross member.

Regards

Keith

MMMMMmmmmmm that sounds like a plan, they are a little dear. Will have to have a very close look and see what I can bodge up fabricate!

Cheers

Andy

Oh My God

I think my bottle is going blink.gif

hhehehe, welcome to my world.....!

see the thread:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=49431&st=0&p=449502&fromsearch=1entry449502

tbh your aint that bad....at least you have an edge for your boot floor.

mine is in the welders shop at work waiting to be done......new plate straight across where the old one was.

regards,

Neil

Oh My God

I think my bottle is going :blink:

Whats wrong with that?, when i took mine out i had to fabricate the edges as well as they were goosed.

Honestly thats not bad really done 3 disco rear floors all worse than that.

I personally think that LR should have offered a MIG as an optional extra :ph34r:

Keith

You are doing well! I have just positioned the new LH Inner/Outer sills on my 92 3-door and have made up templates for the Footwell and a fill-in panel to rejoin the rear inner body shell to the new sill. Has anyone else fitted the Inner & Outer sills as complete pieces? Took me ages to work out how to get them in! I ended up fitting the inner first on its mounts and sliding (wood block & hammer) the outer in from the front after jacking the front axle as low as I could to clear the brake disc & calliper and cutting out the (rusty anyway) footwell panel to improve access. Had to remove the front wing to get access to the bottom of the door front pillar and I'm thinking I should really be taking off the aluminium side panel to get full access to the rear pillar base. Reluctant to do this because I had all the aluminium panels off some years ago to re-preserve the steel shell. Put them back with "Tiger Seal". Big mistake!

I'm also replacing the RH sill, RH footwell, Cargo floor, all 3 doors (ex T reg) and the complete front section. Have Mig welder, will travel! Had the Disco from new and it has clocked 240,000 miles so a bit of tlc seems in order.

Found an article on replacing sills in Dec 09 Landrover World Magazine. Makes it sound straightforward but doesn't explain all the difficult bits! Good Luck with your project!

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I found a neighbour's cat was climbing into mine for shelter from the rain...sad.gif

lmao....in my case, the cat would have wanted to get out of my disco to shelter from the rain!...I jumped in oneday, went to put it in gear and the gear knobs were "under water" from a leaky sunroof - as i drove to work, i had to keep leaning sideways as i went round a corner as it was cascading in thru the top.. :blink: