Discovery 1 - 300 TDI - Snorkel

john01473

Well having saved up a few ££££s I am thinking of adding a snorkel - trouble is they seem a tad expensive for a bit of pipe - sorry if you make these, I am sure it requires skill. The question I have is has anybody made one? I feel a bit blue petery and fancy having a go or is it just a case of handing over the near £200 for one - I have the air filter that takes the flat air filter element. Any help much appreciated. Not normally tight - easier to sell to wifey if its cheaper to make one, otherwise its hide the bill time.

Cheers

Big John.

The standard intake hoses are only 2.5" in diameter........Ive seen alot of people make them from drain pipes. They arent the easiest of things too seal with all the extra joints. If it was the safari one you were looking at they are very well made and thought out they also look great too.

Dave.

a southdown one is basically a bit of shiny pipe with some flexible pipe from it to the airbox with a top on the shiny pipe, something you could easily make with a bit of 68mm drainpipe and some flexy pipe, i'll be making one this way for my 300tdi in the next couple of weeks if you can wait that log i'll send you some pics.

I've got a Mantec on mine. They are very well made, but not the cheapest. At the end of the day, any snorkel is going to be some pipe, either flexible or otherwise - and probably a combination of both. Benefit I found with a Mantec is that it is quite descrete compared to some other makes. It all depends what look you are after.

Some pics of how I made mine all those years ago. Metal pipe is aluminium drain pipe. Plastic joints are 70mm marley pipe and the rubber bits are cut from a 70mm ID generic gates 90 degree hose. The snorkel top was hand made from thin steel plate...

3719790.jpg

3719791.jpg

3719792.jpg

3719793.jpg

3719794.jpg

Looks neat, home made is the way to go, make what you want.

andy

Where did you get the edge stripping from?

Dave

i think he got it from a shop dave, do you want some, think there is some in the workshop, the new vitos come with it around the bulkhead.

let me know, im up your way tomorrow

andy

Cheers to all for info and advice –I have been given a top funnel bit – so the guy who does my welding is going to bend a piece of stainless – so it looks like I will end up with a hybrid. Your pictures were well helpful as I was able to show Dave the welder the finished item. So will let you know how I get on – will post pics of finished job.

Cheers

Big John.