which mechanical rear locker

flatback90

i am going to be in the market for a mechanical rear locker soon and as as ashcrofts have stopped selling detroit lockers for whatever reason i dont know where else to look. i want a true locker not a lsd type if possible and i definately dont want an ARB. so what does the collective recommend?

well iv just ordered a kam diff locker from kam diffs chaps are very helpful.even when i phoned them about setting up my standard diff :unsure:

i havent got it yet but ill let you know how it ges when i get it in and working if thats any help at all?

can i ask why you dont want an arb?

thought about the kam one but with the cutting and diff pan it kinda advertises the fact there's one in there. seen to many lads with arb's faffing about with switches/airlines/fittings and still forgetting to switch them on!! i prefer one that is working without all the messing.

From what I have heard Kam Diffs are in the R&D stage of producing a bolt on diff, as in no need to weld on a new diff pan making the fitting very similar to an ARB locker except no air requirement. It will still need to be actuated, ie switched from what I understand.

I know very little more about this project but I'm pretty sure others on here will and have more up to date information.

Maybe of some help to you.

I used to have a Detroit in the back of my 90 before I sold it, and never had any problems at all. That said, I have had a number of dealings with Ashcrofts, and always found them to be thouroughly helpful, honest and decent. In This thread, Mr Ashtrans said

not only did we have too many failures, but when they did fail, Eaton just weren't interested in any form of warranty
with this combination of failures and poor support from the manufacturer we decided to stop selling them,

I've got a detroit in my 90, had it years and no problem, I've got a 200tdi in this one, had a 2.25 petrol in the series and no problems.

It may be that failure is related to high power and maybe too heavy a right foot in some way.

We all know people who can break anything.

I have a detroit locker in the rear of mine, no issues but I've become quite light footed driver compared to my old days.

I understand that most Detroit failure occurs when a shaft lets go at high torque levels and the diff essentially smashes it's self to pieces. Apparently they also don't like being used with only one shaft. Otherwise works great. I've noticed a little bit of funny steering on the 90 but when it was in my range rover never noticed a thing.