alternators

hi all, electical problem on my rebuild defender 90 with a 200tdi disco engine,problem is wired alternator back up, on doing so crossed spanner on terminals and big blue flash jumped out my skin :lol: and now battery light stays on when ignition is turned off, being informed by forum member that diodes knackered, or igntion wiring incorrect, checked ignition everything fine there,don't know anything about diodes so wondering if i could fit my spare alternator which came off the old td engine, as anybody done this and has any pictures as regards wiring set ups i would be very grateful ;):) cheer's defender dinky

it should fit OK, most likely fried the rectifier diodes in the now dead alternator, take it to a auto electrical place 7 have them test it on their rig/bench, it should be repairable.

thick brown cable to the B+ terminal

brown/yellow [charge light] to the D+ or IND or WL terminal

the items in bold should be marked on the alternator rear cover/casing.

it should fit OK, most likely fried the rectifier diodes in the now dead alternator, take it to a auto electrical place 7 have them test it on their rig/bench, it should be repairable.

hi could my problem be a earth?? should there be an earthwire on the alternator if so where should it go, i have an earth from the belhousing to chassis transferbox to battery should i have more cheer's defender dinky

hi all, electical problem on my rebuild defender 90 with a 200tdi disco engine,problem is wired alternator back up, on doing so crossed spanner on terminals and big blue flash jumped out my skin :lol: and now battery light stays on when ignition is turned off, being informed by forum member that diodes knackered, or igntion wiring incorrect, checked ignition everything fine there,don't know anything about diodes so wondering if i could fit my spare alternator which came off the old td engine, as anybody done this and has any pictures as regards wiring set ups i would be very grateful ;):) cheer's defender dinky

Try swapping the voltage regulator unit, which consists of the diodes, the brushes etc.

Last time I bought one it cost me slightly less than £10. With the alternator out of the vehicle it took me a couple minutes to swap the regulator unit.

I've seen two different types of regulators on Land Rover alternators on NA/TD/200tdi types of engines. It the alternator on the table, you will easily see which type you have. In some cases it's hidden under a plastic cover covering one end of the alternator. (Links are only to get images so you know what to look for, I have no connection with the actual auctions) :

http://cgi.ebay.de/Lichtmaschinenregler-Regler-Ford-Fiesta-Rover-Neu_W0QQitemZ360189261761QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r?hash=item53dcf3f7c1

http://cgi.ebay.de/Lichtmaschinenregler-BMW-AUDI-CITROEN-FERRARI-FIAT_W0QQitemZ360223478099QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r?hash=item53defe1153

One other small (BIG) point -

Always disconnect the battery negative lead before touching alternator or starter motor wiring, or any other permanently live wiring for that matter.

It could save you a lot of trouble & expense. :blink:

Im doing the same converition right now.The td alternater wont work because the tension bracket nut is in a different place and the 200 alt revs faster because of the pas pump drive ratio, it could burn out or go on fire. the problem i have is , there are 3 wires on the old plug &a spade clip and i can only see 3 points of connection on the 200 alternator. can anyone tell me where all 4 wires go on the 200 alt.?

depends where the other end of the light brown ends, it might be for a Rev Counter[if one is fitted] then it needs to go on the 'W' terminal.

hi,i have 2 thick brown wires 1 brown/yellow wire, do the 2 thick brown wires go to the same terminal on the alternator meaning b+ thin brown/yellow to d+ because i have three terminals stud type, at the moment i have thick brown going to b+ thick brown going to w thin brown/yellow going to d+ battery light stays on, when i try ignition it goes out but i have no power to turn car over need help need dinky for monday :(;):) cheer's defender dinky

The two thick browns should go to the same D+ terminal, and the brown/yellow to the smaller terminal. The 'W' terminal is not generally used, but is for a rev counter if fitted.

B+ is battery connection

th_altconnections.jpg

The two thick browns should go to the same D+ terminal, and the brown/yellow to the smaller terminal. The 'W' terminal is not generally used, but is for a rev counter if fitted.

hi, D+ or B+ i think western said B+ if it's right you have just got me out the ****e big time being looking for bad earths for three days :lol::lol::lol: cheer's defender dinky

hi, just change wires over on alternator battery light went off well done lads, but still gotignition lights but no power to turn engine :):):) cheer's defender dinky

are the cables to the starter connected to the soleniod not the starter motor ? does the soleniod click when you try to start the engine ?

are the cables to the starter connected to the soleniod not the starter motor ? does the soleniod click when you try to start the engine ?

hi, four brown wires go to starter jioned in pairs, one white/red goes to spade connector, thinking about it can't remember if i connected wires back on ignition barrel have a look tomorrow, cheer's defender dinky