Chirping Gearbox

Hi,

First post and its a problem LOL,

Have a 110 defender 1985, just developed a chirping on what sound to be coming from gearbox, only happening when accelerating. If clutch is depressed it goes off, also if lift off accelerator pedal sound goes off.

It is a chirping type sound. Any clue or direction on what to start looking at - Obviously will start in Gearbox area, but not sure what it could be, worn clutch, thrust bearing??

Cheers in advance

Mark :blink:

Same here mate, it's the bearings in the gearbox, on the layshaft, mine does the same, it's annoying as hell, however I've changed the gearbox oil and to be honest it made a tiny bit of difference. I just live with it, most older gearboxes seem to do it on landies

that sounds more like a UJ gone on the prop shaft chock wheels take out of gear and handbrake off then see if there is any play :) :) :)

Hi,

I have a similar noise I think, but new to Land Rovers, I have 1996 130 300tdi, and it makes a noise over 45-50mph in 4th and 5th when accelerating, stops when you lift off the accelerator, then starts again as soon as you touch the pedal, any thoughts?

Rgds...Al.

can be either the gear box or t-box. my bet it's the bearings or the pre-load.

overhauling my t-box again next month. 2nd time in 2 yrs on a 7yr old landie. so if you have covered over 200k, chances there's going to be a lot of play in the box. timr to drop it and drop a bomb on your wallet.

however, if you are gentle, you still can drive for a long time, but it's just irritating noise.

i had just the same thing the bearings in the transfer box end of the front prop uj had gone,replaced uj and chirpy/squeek was cured but had to replace oil seal in transfer box as vibration from knackerd uj popped it as stated before cheak the uj,s for play good luck

Have had the mule over the pit and what would you know, the U/J on the front prop has more play in it than a box full of plays that are playing their asses off.

Have a new prop on order, looked at changing the U/J out, but told it is a press out job and at £55 notes for a new prop, figured just better to fit new. Will be fitting shortly, will update shortly and let you guys know if it cures all.

Thanks for the direction guys :)