200tdi or 300tdi?

hcater

I'm looking to buy a Defender 90 at auction and to stay within the budget am looking at older vehicles. Although on paper the 200tdi and the 300tdi produce the same bhp and torque, I was wondering if there are any noticeable differences between the two engines (fuel consumption, noise, efficiency etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

The 300Tdi is a more refined engine than the 200Tdi, providing a greater level of user comfort at the price of slightly less ease of servicing (though still simple stuff) and, I'm told, a slightly worse MPG figure. Both should be good for several hundred thousand miles with good servicing.

That said, 300Tdis will be newer and so will have less miles on :)

When you get a 300 you get an R380, and if you've driven an LT77 you'll appreciate this. I went 200TDI and picked up a short-R380 to swap in, but it was more because I wanted dead simple and the Series engine mounting location with all that nice room between the rad and the engine. :) (OK and for weight bias) but if I was doing it again I'd get something with an R380 already I think.

When you get a 300 you get an R380, and if you've driven an LT77 you'll appreciate this. I went 200TDI and picked up a short-R380 to swap in, but it was more because I wanted dead simple and the Series engine mounting location with all that nice room between the rad and the engine. :) (OK and for weight bias) but if I was doing it again I'd get something with an R380 already I think.

Although a big fan of the 200tdi you can no longer obtain new cylinder heads and good ones are becoming much harder to find. If I was buying now I'd probably go for the 300 knowing that if I were to experience any head problems the units are available brand new and quite reasonable too.

Mark

Im in a similiar situation. looking for defender to buy.

Comments have been really useful.

Tho i keep hearing elsewhere that 200tdi's are more favourable, whether that is just due to the power output im not sure.

But u have highlighted one important issue, of maintenance.

I am looking to do a lot of work myself, are they ok for spares and DIY maintenance?

thx Dan.