Water Separators

Tonk

Being RRC I haven't a clue and didn't know that anyway.

They are definately worth while, especially if you travel overseas at all.

It only takes a very small amount of water to screw up a pump barrel or injector, apart from which if any water lies around, although there are not many places for it to do so, then there will likely be corrosion.

The only trouble with these things in my opinion is that people tend to forget about them, fitted & checked as part of regular servicing they can only be good.

Agree Racor do work well, not the cheapest but I can testify to how well they do work on our marine installations when some muppet decided to clear a blockage in the tank drain cock by blowing it through with a water hose :rolleyes::angry::blink:

considering fitting a water separator on my diesel, why do discos have em but defenders dont?

are they worth it?

All the Tdi Defenders here have a sedimentor bowl which I think also acts as a water separator, but the Discoverys don't have it AFAIK... might be wrong though (my last two Discoverys have both been V8s)

In our Defenders it is in the rear wheelarch, where the fuel filter is located on a Td5 Defender.

I can get a p/no if required but it is probably the same unit as the Discovery if those have them fitted in some countries - an alloy housing, and a removable bowl in 2 parts with a drain screw in the bottom.

I have a racor unit fitted, i got it when i went to the Tdi engine. It has saved a lot of gunk and water from getting to the engine. Its a bit expensive but the cost outweights the things i have found in it, peace of mind to be honest!. It may also be fitted with an in cab sensor for water level. It also has a pump primer on top (very weak and unusable IMO). A good investment if you get bad fuel batches!!!

Grem

Normal oil filter has all oil flowing through so can only filter to 15 microns in the size available.

Bypass filter is an extra that only allows 10-15% of the oil though at any pass (by having a smaller orifice) so will filter down to 1 micron getting all the crud out of the oil. with good ones oil doesn't even go black! = less engine wear.

Think Discos and rangies have them fitted, but best ones I've come across are www Kleeoil.co.uk