discovery 200tdi-defender the bits!!

del

was looking on ebay and the steve parker site for the exhaust downpipe and intercooler pipe set and was wondering if anyone had used the cheaper kits and if there was much differance in quality ect, also im told you also need a conversion kit to fit the air filter and housing ,whats the best option for this as mr parkers kit is £200!,cheers del

I've heard of people using the 300tdi turbo on a disco 200tdi engine, not sure how much it helps, but the exhaust outlet is in a different place on the 300 turbo, meaning you arent fighting with the bulkhead...

Might be something to look into?

I used the kit that sells on ebay, and other than the poor paint finish on the steel intake pipework which doesn't last and goes rusty relatively quickly, i've had no problems with the fitment. Saves hassle and his welding skills seem pretty good. Steve Parker on their advice sold me kit that was incompatible with the converstion I was carrying out so didn't buy any further kit from them. (Other people no doubt have had great experiences from that company though, so it's up to you)

I used the kit that sells on ebay, and other than the poor paint finish on the steel intake pipework which doesn't last and goes rusty relatively quickly, i've had no problems with the fitment. Saves hassle and his welding skills seem pretty good. Steve Parker on their advice sold me kit that was incompatible with the converstion I was carrying out so didn't buy any further kit from them. (Other people no doubt have had great experiences from that company though, so it's up to you)

When I started my 200 TDi conversion I looked at the ebay kit because it seemed good value for money. The main reason for looking at kits like this is simple. I don't have a nice garage workshop to work, the kit and the materials to fabricate components like this (though this will be changing in the near future blink.gif ) so I needed to pay some one for it. I asked the same question in this thread and you'll see from the answers from the likes of Les and others that there is a reason that the kits on ebay are cheaper. I'm not technical enough to argue about back pressure and too many angles but I'm sure some one who does know whats what will be along shortly wink.gif

Having bought the SP versions of the kits I will be starting the task of lifting out the engine and fitting the kits so watch my thread on my 110 conversion for updates on how good or bad the SP kits are.

Hope that helps

Gavin

I've had very poor after-sales service from SP. I bought both the exhaust and intercooler kits as they appeared to be a well engineered solution.

The kits arrived by post next day delivery and were very well packaged and labeled. The pipework for the intercooler/rad looked sturdy enough, however, for the price, I believe the welding on their downpipe is a bit shoddy.

Firstly, during the time I bought the kit and actually doing the conversion the instructions went walkabout. I phoned SP to see if they could email or fax me some new sheets and they said it would be a £30 'admin' charge! Not something I wish to hear after spending the best part of £300 with them - so I told them where to get off. Luckily i found the instructions a few hours later in the cubby.

Also, their pipework on the rad/intercooler kit did not mate correctly to my expansion tank - we were forced to turn up an adaptor on the lathe. When my friend rang to enquire as to whether they'd sent us the wrong pipe they put the phone down on him.

As well as all that - the new temp sender they forward you does not correct the reading from the gauge as they state.

Overall, not very happy and I personally wouldn't recommend them. Although I'm sure others have had different experiences.

I must put up a photo of my air filter housing as it really is a very good fitment and looks factory. Originally I was looking to place it where the air-con pump was situated, but securing it was awkward. I (rather Bradley from SCS in Peterborough!) managed to locate it sideways on within the front n/s wing so that I can still easily change the filter without too much hassle. Am back in peterborough next week so will photograph it and post it on here.

When I did mine I used a filterbox out of a 200TDi Disco (I think it was anyway) and mounted it in the off side on the 4 bolts on top of the timing cover, the airhose went round the back of the engine. All the hoses were picked up from an autojumble and I used a home-made downpipe although this was later replaced by a SP one to get rid of an annoying rattle (which was still there afterwards!!)