oil pressure light

Hello all,

On a drive today I noticed that the oil pressure light came on when the Defender 110 with a 300tdi engine in, was idling ( when I came to a stop ) soon as i press the accelerator pedal the light goes out is this a sign that the oil pump is going? or an electrical fault?

theres plenty of oil in her!

Cheers ted

Low oil pressure warning light coming on at idle can have many causes - here are a few I have experienced over the years in the order in which I would check them (easiest/cheapest first):

1. Very thin (old or wrong grade, contaminated with fuel etc): Have a look at it. (bypass this section if oil/filter are recent)

2. Filter blocked: (bypass this section if oil/filter are recent) I know there is a bypass valve for a blocked filter so that needs checking too.

3. Knackered oil pressure switch: I have only experienced this once, but it's an easy one to check - just change the switch.

4. Knackered pressure relief valve: The spring can break or weaken and the valve seat or ball (or plunger) can get worn, damaged or gunged up. I have twice known gunged up ones and once a broken spring.

5. Knackered pump: Obviously if the pump is worn it won't make the required pressure. Strip and check.

6. Knackered engine: If the mains are badly worn then once the engine is hot and oil thinned it is possible that the pump can't keep up.

Hope this helps.

Roger

It could be a few things, basicaly the light is telling you your oil pressure is low, on tick over the engine isnt turning so fast so the pump is spinning slower not creating as much pressure.

it could be wear in the pump, wear in the engine bearings (big ends, mains, cam bearings). When did you last change your oil?

it could just be a faulty oil pressure switch or bad connection to it?

Hope this helps

Ive been through several oil px switches in the past few years, inc genuine ones; however these all failed completely... it does sound like an engine related snag along the thin oil / blockage / worn bearings / faulty px release valve. That said my first port of call would be replacing the switch - its cheap and easy! Even better get a gauge in place of it of a mate and see what the true pressure is.