Why would CV shaft be too short?

ajh

So, I made some changes and got my front suspension back together and the only odd thing is that now the CV short-shaft is too short, not too short to work, but sits flush with the drive flange end which makes getting the clip back on impossible. It is the same on both ends.

The parts changed include using a D1 front axle housing (to add ARB), new britpart swivels, and new vented discs where once solid discs were. Everything feels tight and solid.

Just a bit confusing.

Don't they 'free-float' a bit? Hence the circlip to hold it in position? I'm sure I've seen mention of 'hooking' a bolt into the threads in the end in order to pull it out enough to get the clip on.

Only other thing I can think of is the different axle casing you've put on, perhaps there are differences?

Well, I'm using the ones from the original axle, which was a 1992, but then so are the half-shafts, everything except the housing is spec'ed for the 1992 and the two housings compared side by side seem identical other than the radius arm brackets and ARB mounts.

Take the drive member off and measure how much of the CV sticks out before you fit it

to check if there is going to be enough to go through the drive member,

when I fitted new drive members I had to clean the grooves with a needle file to get the cv to pull through enough,

Dismantle and check the length of the cv's the early ones seem to be 9&1/2 inch and the later one's are 8&1/2.

The other way to check is the splines where the shaft meet's the cv. If there were 23 spline then they will probably be 9&1/2 inch cv's and if the new ones are 32 spline then there the 8&1/2 inch cv's.

If you changed to the later ones but have used the original stab's that will be the problem!! new cv's are not long enough for the stub's!

In which case you will need to replace the to the hub assembly to match the later stub's.

I had the same problem when changing the front end to 24 spline from 10's. Luckily i had an old Disco 1 front axle already stripped down an used the parts from that.

Hope this help's??

Well, everything is together and working and both sides are the exact same so I would rule out a fluke like that.

It is not a fluke. It is quite easy if you are not careful. When assembling, you need to make sure you hold the CV joint inside the bushing or it gets stuck off of the bushing. There is enough space in the swivel housing to push the CV joint off of the bushing.

Get a bolt in the CV and wiggle it around and see if you can get it into the bushing.

I had the same issue when i rebuilt my hubs. It turned out to be the bronze bushes in the stub axles not being fitted fully at the the factory. I just tapped them in a bit, and it all went together fine.

^^^ wot he said!!

I know it would be a fluke for both sides to be like it, but it's happened before. How is the steering? If the wheels won't turn from lock-to-lock, then this is your problem........

Either try tapping the bronze bushes back home properly, or rotate the stub axle throught 90 degrees and refit...