what tyre size is good

derrick

Hi guys been a long time iv had laptop problems. just a small Q but a big one as once you bought them you have to live with em for a long time. I think i am going for 7x16 moduelers black with 265x75 tyres on my series 3 88" v8. unless someone should have a good reason why it might be too wide and 235 would be better. I think 75s as this will keep the speedo reading correct. Hope i have been told right on that one . Thanks in advance del

Hi guys been a long time iv had laptop problems. just a small Q but a big one as once you bought them you have to live with em for a long time. I think i am going for 7x16 moduelers black with 265x75 tyres on my series 3 88" v8. unless someone should have a good reason why it might be too wide and 235 would be better. I think 75s as this will keep the speedo reading correct. Hope i have been told right on that one . Thanks in advance del

265 will need steering stops adjusted i run 235 and there fine

• 2 weeks later...

They'll be fine - just adjust the lock stops to stop them rubbing on full lock. You may also need to pack the rear bump stops down to stop them rubbing the wheel boxes on full bump. I run 285/75/16's on my series on reversed rims.

Jon

I run my '58 SII SWB petrol 2 1/4 on 7.50 r16's which are fine.

You may need to replace the speedo with a LWB speedo to get the correct reading.

(Or just use a sat nav which will give you a reasonable idea of your speed!)

it depends on the vehicles usage.

if you want to trial the vehicle 235s do worsen the already quite poor series turning circle, ask me how i know :P and thats on lwb rims!

now ive put the rangerover axles on, the tyres dont get anywhere near rubbing and the turning circle is almost the same as a defender on the same tyres :). ive found the 235s to be plenty sufficiant for grip and havent found them to sink in to soft ground too much. ive packed out bumpstops to stop them rubbing so much but its only the top of the arch boxes they rub on so wont be cutting into tread.

if the vehicles not getting trialled and the turning circle doesnt matter so much then the 265s will definetely make it look a bit more beasty and they may wear a bit slower and grip a bit better on road due to more tread.

• 5 weeks later...

I've got 235/85/16's on mine. They're MT's with an aggressive tread pattern. I had to adjust the steering stops nearly all the way out to stop them rubbing on the springs. Also with such deep tread they're a lot taller than the 7.50/16's they replaced.

Look wise the 235's are loads better as the 7.50/16's just looked so narrow.

I must admit though that the 7.50's were a nicer drive on the road, had a better turning circle and better acceleration etc

The MT's are a world apart off road though.