Competing in Challenger 4x4 events

chris_oakley

Well this will be my first season in challenge events. and first ever time competing

Is my truck a well even spec to compete.

200 tdi 90

disco axles

ashcroft rear half shafts

north challenge wings

standard tub

ep9 super winch on front with steel cable

insa turbo special track . 285 75 16

twin battery.. twin alternator.

Will the winch be up to the job ?

Well this will be my first season in challenge events. and first ever time competing

Is my truck a well even spec to compete.

200 tdi 90

disco axles

ashcroft rear half shafts

north challenge wings

standard tub

ep9 super winch on front with steel cable

insa turbo special track . 285 75 16

twin battery.. twin alternator.

Will the winch be up to the job ?

I've competed with a lower spec truck in the past in novice events (but not challenger events), with an ep9 on the front but with plasma on it.

And is the ep9 up to the job ?

Yes but it won't win any speed records, but also make sure you have a snatch block.

The only thing is it won't do is deep bogs or very long pulls, but there will be enough punches to allow you to avoid deep bogs and very long pulls.

The main thing to watch out for is bunching on the drum as you won't always be doing straight pulls and bunching can break a low line winch.

But also watch out for sharp angled pulls (I was still using the ep9 as a rear winch until about a year ago and it's gearbox housing exploded trying to pull the rear end sideways).

All true, but if this is your first time competing, I say go for it as is. Yes an 8274 is better or Hydraulic or even PTO could be an advantage, but the most important thing is to be able to work with your co driver together and think about how to tackle sections without asking too much of your winch and your truck. these are very important things for competing in Challenge. Your winch may be slow, but you loose seconds or maybe minutes, where as bad coordination or teamwork will loose you hours.

I used to tackle (and still do coming to think of it) challenge events with the only goal to finish. This has proved a good way to go about things, I was in many events were the attrition rate is about 50%, in which case finishing means you have beaten 50% of the competitors.

A plasma rope would be advisable though.

Daan

The Challenger 4x4 series is set-up to allow novices, such as yourself, the chance to compete without (most of) the big guns out playing. Although we started wit a highly modified truck, we spent last years series gradually upgrading the truck and improving our communication and approach in order to get more competitive. We had good results all year and each event improved on the last (except one...!!).

It's a competitive event, so the testosterone tends to take over sometimes, but it's all run and entered into in good spirit. There will be teams there running 2 twin-motor 8274s, a centre winch and with 2 locking diffs and 37" tyres......... But we manage to hold our own and come back at the end of the day with a smile on our faces.

The most important thing is that you come along and have a bluddy good time while you are partaking in the sport. This includes the night before and the lead up to the event in the morning when you can wander around smugly if you are ready to roll, or frantically work to get ready for the start. The best thing you can do is enter the first round, try it out - more importantly try your team out - and then come back for more once the bug has bitten.

The best bit of the Challenger series is the betting book that runs on whether Chris Kelly will make the start on time......... !! :lol: :lol: :lol: He normally turns up with the winches in the back of the van and the brake/clutch fluid still in a baked bean tin from when he drained it all out!! :P

Just a word of warning for you. If you are going to compete in the first event, you will need a licence from the MSA. (there's a thread in here about it...) It's a fairly simple form to fill in and a cheque to send off and most people must be starting to receive theirs by now, but...... if you have any medical issues, expect the MSA to follow up on it requesting either a full medical, or a letter from your GP. It's not an issue, just another hurdle to jump...

After speaking to a guy well known in the winching field.

iv been told the ep9 will out pull a stock 8274. the gearboxes are stronger, and with the right cables. are infact makes them a good winch to have on the front . and that will pull you out of most places.

only downside is speed.

Gearboxes are Stronger :hysterical: ??? they have a plastic housing !!! which can split in half.

Gearboxes are Stronger :hysterical: ??? they have a plastic housing !!! which can split in half.

SEEMS like different people have different views...which ae to expected i suppose.

im currently cleaning up my motor in the ep9. changinging the main battery leads to higher spec.

and changing my isolator as its rather sh** and has caused me more problems.

Once iv done this il take the truck out again see how the winch performs...

If not il start saving for a twin motor gigglepin 8274,

If the ep9 is ok.....Tray back from north will be on the cards

SEEMS like different people have different views...which ae to expected i suppose.

im currently cleaning up my motor in the ep9. changinging the main battery leads to higher spec.

and changing my isolator as its rather sh** and has caused me more problems.

Once iv done this il take the truck out again see how the winch performs...

If not il start saving for a twin motor gigglepin 8274,

If the ep9 is ok.....Tray back from north will be on the cards

why not try and see how it goes before jumping in and traybacking and going twin motor

Spectators will always be welcome at AWDC events, so feel free to come along... You'll be most welcome. The event will start at 10 (ish) but if you are there earlier, it'll give you a chance to have a wander round and see what's going on with Scruitineering etc and have a peek at some of the trucks, too. Scrutineering is normally open from 8am on the day of the event...

Well iv Made my desicion i think.

seings ive never actually been to one of these challenges i will come along and watch the first round of challenger,(If aloud)

Then look in to prehaps competing in round 2

Sound like a good idea ?

Where are you based? There is a good comp in Suffolk this Sunday

Based in norfolk.

the mission 4x4 winch challenge ?

I would go along but i have got to pick a gearbox up from birmingham on sunday .. unless i finish work earlier than expected saturday day.

west harptree is a fair trek. but worth it if i get to see what its all about and so my co.driver can see what hes let himself in for.

• 2 weeks later...

Commitment is the key...you can go along and watch as many as you like but theres nothing like sending off your cheque and pencilling the date in the diary, then you have set yourself the deadline and you will do it!. The championship winner last year drove a full bodied hard top Defender 90 so dont be put off because your not driving a fully specc`ed tray back special. Its all about enjoying the day & if you dont commit then that day will never come!

Paul