Wire rope rigging

Godlykepower

I used to have a set of bush cables I got from Billing a couple of years ago, but when I changed roof racks, I didnt bother taking them off as they were too short.

I thought I would knock some up this weekend so as to avoid paying the, frankly, ridiculous price I paid at Billing.

I have looked around for all the bits I need (you would NOT believe how hard it is to find Stainless Steel hook & eye rigging screws!) and it all seems quite easy....

....my question is though, I want to make the wire terminations (ends!) look neat and have seen alternatives to those wire rope grips (the little U-bolt things) called Ferrules, which just appear to be bits of ali/stainless that is crimped over the end bit of wire. How do these things get crimped, is it a special tool? Are ferrules strong enough? The whole thing looks weaker than wire grips.

Second question is: I probably will end up with wire grips if I have to buy crimping tools which I cant afford to do, so I would like to neaten up the wire ends anyway.

My old cables used to have some sort of rubber sheath (that ran along the contours of the cable ends), over one end and this was filled with silicone sealant. What product is available that I could use to keep both ends neat? All I can think of is Heat Shrink?

Martin

If you have a yacht rigging company near you, you should be able to purchase any parts you need from them. They would make any lengths of wire you require.

If you have any boat yards near you may be able to find someone that is replacing the rigging on their yacht, more often than not the old rigging would go in the bin. That would give you the wire rope in stainless most likely with an eye ready to go in one end.

Then cut to length.

All you would then have to have made up would be the eye in one end of each wire and a couple of bottle screws and possibly a couple of deck fixings.

I darn't think how much I have seen in the bin over the years!

Hope thats of some help.

Hope thats of some help.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, but it does not answer my question!

I know where I can get the bits from & its all from one place, so I can order it online & make them up in my living room, then just 15 minutes to fit on the vehicle.

I really just need to know about the neatest way to tie up the ends.

Hi

To get the neatest termination which will also be the strongest a hydraulic crimper is needed ££££££££. This would mean the wires would be what is known in sailing terms loadbearing (holding up the mast). You can also get hand crimpers that look alot like bolt cutters with different jaws on them, these would most likely be fine for your needs. It is also possible to get the wire covered in plastic/rubber these are usually used on guard rails along the side of yachts. The plastic will crack over time and if used as a brush wire I guess it would happen sooner rather than later.

All of the above a yacht rigging company would be able to do for you.

I have seen short bits of hose pipe used to cover over frayed ends also electrical tape it really depends on what level of finish you are after.

I worked in the marine industry and I've seen some right lash ups. :blink:

Martin,

I bought my bits from http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/, including ferrules for both eyes and stops (http://www.tecni-cab...ule-100-320-015)

They are quick and helpful.

I would add though that I am using 1.5mm wire for making metal lid stays and that kind of stuff with copper ferrules/stops. This diameter wire would be too flimsy for bush wires, I expect.

My 'helpful' point is that these stops and ferrules are pretty much at the limit if what you can do with this, still expensive, crimp tool: http://www.tecni-cab...les-115-007-023. To do bigger wires for bush cables, you will need to spend the money on the bigger tools as advertised in the site, or, probably best, get a yacht rigger to make them for you.

The look aside, are you convinced that bush-wires are expedition-essential ?

Regards

Richard

What you want are Sta-Lock terminals. These give a proper wire end termination, without the need for a hydraulic crimping tool, and without using unsightly clamps etc.

We have used Sta-lock terminals on our boats for the last 10 years or so, they are a smart and robust solution for the DIY-er who can't warrant the expense of the tooling for crimps. They are also field reusable/repairable.

During all my searching for the right parts, I have come across all the names & links mentioned so far.

As far as I am aware there are no yachting places near here, so I cant justify travelling to find one. I will order my parts and make up the best ropes I can.

I have come across both the Sta-Lock & Talurit names, and as "pretty" as their rigging screws look, I cant justify the cost for a part that will be used so little.

Richard, Techni-Cable is one of two names I have found that can supply what I need at a good price, the other being GS Products. I will be using 5 or 6mm stainless wire, and stainless products throughout the rig, and I can obtain all the parts quite cheaply from either stockist & order online. The most expensive part is the rigging screw itself which is about £11 a pop (about £4 if I wanted galvanised.)

With regard to being expedition essential, the simple answer is "No" not essential at all. However, the ones I first had got a surprising amount of use when off-road! smile.gif They were designed to be detachable, in that the rigging screw was a Hook & Eye type, unlike the one pictured above which is Jaw & Swage. They used to be un-hooked from the wing tops & stored along the length of the roof rack and held in place at the far end of the rack by a loop of bungee cord. What was good, was that you could only have them in place if you were driving through a tight track, and remove them later if you liked.

I once drove through Violets Lane in Furneux Pelham (which is tight enough in places) when a broken branch that was partially hanging down, would have gone right through my windscreen if I had not had the wires in place. Paid for themselves right there & then.

Same line of reasoning applies now, I will knock some up & only fully attach them when needs be. It wont do any harm and wont cost much at all.

Martin,

Keep us posted, I have been dithering on bush-wires, but you may have convinced me. Separately I have got well on with the water systems we discussed at length some while ago, once finished, trialled and improved I'll post some pics.

I'd like to see how your wires turn out.

Regards

Richard

I don't know if it is the same for these things, but when our sparky was making up the gurt thick cables for our solar power rig, we hired a crimper from a local company. It didn't cost the earth, and meant that all the terminations are perfect.

If you can't hire one, couldn't you smile sweetly at one of the swarthy seafaring types in yer local boatyard, and get them to give you a quick squeeze, as it were?

Martin,

The way the new Bush Cables are done are glue and heat shrink, however by the time you have got all the bits and made them I would drop Kurt (bushcables@hotmail.co.uk) a line http://bushcables.com he is a really nice bloke explain to him the problem with them being to short and he will either do you a deal on some new bits or a new set, which will cost you far less than messing around finding the bits, if you let him know I told you to drop him a line I'm sure he will sort you out.

I had really great service from him when I first started and he even developed some new eyebolts for my Mantec wing plates to make fitting easy. I replaced mine recently as someone stole one... and he did me a great deal. I did look at making them up myself but by the time I had brought all the bits in stainless not cheap ones it was cheaper to get a set from Kurt.

Jason.