Rear Axle Protection - Qs and Input before I start upgrade

Hybrid_From_Hell

Sorry to say chaps that it adds a lot more strength per weight than tubing the inside of the axle. It doesn't add much weight if you design it right and use the correct material - there is no need to use more than 3mm. The photo isn't the prettiest or best executed but it gives the idea. You can bend a stock Rover axle casing by literaly looking at it especially if you have a reasonable amount of power, big(ish) tyres, high offset wheels and a powerful winch to pull you over stuff (step forward Mr Barker ;) ). Trusses on the top (or bottom) of the axle tend to be of more use if you're jumping the car....

Interesting, has anyone on here actually bend a stock rover housing?

Daan

This is simply that the rear casing covering the diff is that shape for a reason - that reason is to assist the oil

picked via the Crown wheel to guide the oil - and stop it moving off "Sideways" so that it helps lubrication of the Pinion,

thus, a simple "Flat Bowl" without the CW buldge will significantly reduce the efficency of pinion lubrication ?

:)

Nige

Nige, the Gigglepin sewercap can be put over the existing diff housing, just drill some holes in the existing onefor oil flow then weld on the GP one over the top.

Well, to add my 10 penneth.

I bent both axles on my expedition RRC driving down the Shayba road in the empty quarter and got the guys at Tomcat to build me a pair of their reinforced axle casings.

They were tubed internally and had a thicker pan welded on along with external bracing, all I can say is they were superb bits of kit.

If you were to use them along with a QT type skid to protect the front of the rear diff, and use Devon 4x4 type pipe guards I think it would be pretty much HFH proof

Regards,

Roger

Yep bent several

In me early days comp racing bent upwards on the long side

Now, done 3 in about 6 years, most likley winching and having casing "Hooked" on something,

prob would have bent whatever mods to strengthen had been done to the casing

Nige

A decent truss can double the strength of an axle casing.....