no rpm signal on megasquirt ms1extra

gav-

I do have a usb converter that says it is profilic driver. But when I ran megatune it just continually says fail to connect. Tunerstudio loaded up straight away.

I have gone through the wiring so many times, i dont think i could have got it wrong.

The MAT and CLT read continually whilst cranking, as mentioned the BTDC, RPM, Duty cycle all drop to 0 readings after the 6 secs of cranking. It leads me to think that if there is a problem with the EDIS then as the rpm is lost then it no longer continues to PWM and try and control BTDC etc.

I noticed that the connectors inside the plug of the EDIS module have a grease on them, its not possible this could be acting as an insulator rather than a conductor??

I haven't read this in detail so apologies if I cover stuff that's been mentioned already, but a few points:

- Powering the coils from the fuel pump feed is OK, but the EDIS unit itself must have 12v ignition live the same as the ECU and must be live whilst cranking, if the EDIS is not powered then nothing will be happening.

- The RPM reading is only a reflection of what the ECU sees, which is pulses on the PIP line. These can be caused when power cycling the system (a few small power spikes as you turn the key) and hence you'll get a brief bit of "noise" on the line which will show up as an RPM reading. A real RPM reading will be not only a more sensible number but also more steady.

- Remember the ECU and the EDIS are very separate units in this, each doing their own thing. The ECU will do nothing useful until the EDIS is working and sending it a PIP signal. The EDIS can only have so many things wrong with it - if it has power, ground, and a correct VR sensor signal (polarity correct) it will be trying to fire the coils. If it isn't, there are only a few possibilities:

* Power or ground aren't good

* The VR sensor or wiring is not good

* The coils or their wiring are not good

* The EDIS itself is not good (this is very rare, check the others first)

- The ECU will prime the fuel pump if set to fire a priming pulse when the ignition comes on. The ECU runs the fuel pump and waits for a given number of seconds after any injection before turning it off. This is a safety feature, if you stall (or crash) and the engine stops, the fuel pump will shut off a couple of seconds later.

cranking.png

So far,

The resistance of the VR Sensor is 600ohms, and whilst cranking the ohmeter pulses which I guess is due to the refresh rate of the meter I am using cant keep up with the change of resistance? Sometimes it does read a real number and I have seen two values of 600 and 900 ohms.

When cranking the voltage from the VR sensor is greater than 1.5v. From the EDIS ignition control " The EDIS module handles all VR signal processing. In fact, the EDIS module has a built-in VR signal hysteresis - when the VR signal is passing from negative to positive polarity (next tooth is approaching), the signal must reach +0.5 volts before the EDIS module will "arm". " So surely this means that the VR sensor is ok

I have checked the voltage of the centre wire and a wire on the LHS and RHS of the ignition coil, at standstill the voltage between the centre of the connector and the two outside wires is 12v, on cranking this drops to below 9v. I still havent got a spark when I remove a Ignition lead and spark plug from a cylinder and place it on the engine block.

Any suggestions?

The VR sensor is probably fine but its polarity could be reversed, because of the way the waveform works when the missing (index) tooth goes past, if it's reversed it looks like two missing teeth and confuses the EDIS.

When you say you have 12v from the centre pin of the coil connector to the outer pins - is that with the ignition on but engine off, cranking or not, coil connected or not?

The bit I am sure about regarding the VR sensor is the wiring. The wiring colours on the VR sensor are blue and grey which corresponds to the position on the EDIS module. I have checked this a number of times and they are not wired up in reverse.

I have 12v between the centre and the outter wires with the igntion on. When cranking this drops to less than 9v. This is measured with the plug off one of the coil. I have checked both plugs and they give the same readings, and I have tried 3 coil packs and still no joy!

The bit I am sure about regarding the VR sensor is the wiring. The wiring colours on the VR sensor are blue and grey which corresponds to the position on the EDIS module. I have checked this a number of times and they are not wired up in reverse.

So did your VR sensor come off the same car as the EDIS-8? Ford are known to use different wiring across models/years, given the EDIS8 unit was a US-only thing and a VR sensor sourced in the UK will only ever be from a 4 or 6cyl car, possibly running either EDIS, ESCII, EECIV, etc.

All I'm saying is if you haven't already tried it, try swapping the wires for the VR sensor.

Yes, I brought the edis module and the VR sensor from ebay.com. The wires on the VR sensor are grey and blue. And the wires for pins 4 and 5 on the edis module are grey and blue. So that is how I have connected them up.

Would it matter if the VR sensor was mounted upside down????

ok congrats gentlemen, you were indeed correct.

Despite the colours of the wires on the VR sensor, i swapped the wires over and I have a spark!!!

Just got to sort out the fact it doesnt fire. It misses and backfires but not fire. But hey thats work for the weekend.

Thanks All!

Yes I discounted this, as I just thought that it had to be right, as the colours on the wires matched one another. However I have mounted the VR sensor upside down, so maybe this makes a difference? I will look once I get a chance!

Yeap they will be the first things to check.

Thanks everyone for the help and sorry for being a pain and not doing it earlier!