gear box upgrade

assuming you are putting a td5 gearbox into 200tdi landy, you could get a conversoin plate made up, this usually works, do you know if the input shaft is the same size? if the splines are different you might be able to do it by putting a td5 clutch in aswell, as this is the thing that the splines mate to. the gearbox might fit straight on, they fitted straight onto the 300tdi's (i think its R380) which wre basically the exact same engine. im sure les or anther mod will be able to give you a better answer!

cheers i think the td5 gearbox is the same as the r380 but i dont no about the splines i realy dont want to go to the trouble of getting a plate made up as i need it on the road asap and dont want to splash out on the box untill i am sure

i was going to use a td5 cluch kit anyway its wether my trasfer box will go on the the splines aswell

andrew, if this is true (probably is) is it possible to put a later type bolt on x-member on it, then you would have your mounts. or would it be easier to fab up some mounts for it?

I'm no expert here, in that mine is V8 which I swapped from LT77 to LT85, but I have a feeling the new cross-member is more like a flat box-section than the big round tube of old (or at least it is on my Marsland replacement chassis, which is supposed to be 'Td5 style', albeit with V8 engine and gearbox mounts).

Ashcroft does say that if your LT77 is knackered you might want to consider replacing it with a R380, so it must be do-able. Hopefully someone who has actually done it will be able to reply with authority!

Cheers,

AC.

just a thought, as AC said, well have to wait till someone who has done it comes along.

im sure that the defender/disco boxes were the same, proably with different mounts.

and as far as im aware discovery chassis did not change from 200 model to 300 model which means the mounts would probably be the same. in this case the LT77 and R380 would have the same mounting points. but the mounts themselves may be different. this may be the case with the defender, but im not 100%