fuse layouts

discomikey

on my serries 3 project, there are no fuses in it at present

does anyone have a diagram or haynes manual that they can scan up or something that i can use to help me work it all out, i know as being an old land rover the wiring may be "modified" to work and bodged.

..so it will save a lot of trial and error if anyone can help.

cheers.

i dont really know, its only the second series 3 ive owned, and the first one i owned was a field car, main beam never worked, dip beam was as effective as the sidelights, and i dont think anything else worked. i was about 13 so i wasnt the best at electrickery. i did take the gearbox out of it though, :P

im putting a seperate fuse box in my bonnet somewhere, for me extras, (spotlights, air horns, cb, beacon bar maybe etc, and when i wire up a cd player with ipod input :P )

itll probably be a blade fuse holder

The correct fuse box for a Series 3 has 4 x 35 amp glass type fuses and it should be under that nasty plastic steering column surround - as the bottom - as fuses are something to be ashamed of and not seen.

Having just removed some joker's circuit breakers and re-instated the fuse box as being the easiest way to get the heater fan and other ignition-controlled items back off direct supply I have to say that it wasn't the easiest of jobs (but coping with a previous conversion from petrol to diesel and some axillary lighting didn't help.

My experience is that the wiring is a bit tight especially when its all hardened over the years. If someone's pruned the original lucar connectors off you may have real problems.

The proper fuse box is one of these:

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=1&pgCode=084&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Control+Boxes&agCode=0458&agName=Fuse+Boxes&pCode=37416

The fuses all say 35 Amp but being glass type they are only rated for a constant 17 Amps (ask me how I know), and LR do not fuse any circuit which may use more than that (EG the lights, again ask me how I know). Best bet is to replace with blade fuses, if you buy an 8-way holder it also means you can separate the circuits out a bit.