Camel trophy LR opinions...

Maverik

nice enough, but a bit strange that the spare number plate in the boot door pocket has got a different number on it.....

Thats the export plate... only a few of the Freelanders were lucky enough to keep their export identity.

The 110 is up for an extortionate price, but then I guess its one of the rarer ones!! IIRC its been for sale for quite a while... no idea why!! :lol:

A fairly tidy 300tdi 110 would normally go for between £8k and £15k.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wether or not you think a Camel is over-rated depends on what you intend to do with it.

Mine is in great condition and was cheaper to buy than a 110 in the same condition when you factor in half the stuff it is fitted with. In this way, it seems like a bargain and even came with a brand new roof tent as the last owner didn't seem to want to take it off.

On an expedition (which I intend to use it for) the roofrack is probably a bit over the top and heavy. It can be temporary removed if I want to.

I love the fact it has a full cage as I recently started a family.

I will be using for pottering about, going to shows and then doing Morocco etc.. later when my son is older.

For this it's fantastic and not overated at all. Plus I like having a piece of Land Rover history.

If it was just to go offroading, it would be well over-rated. Get a 90 or something else to abuse. They were not made to 'just' go off roading. They were made to take a group of people and all their supplies on journeys anywhere in the world that involved a lot of off roading.

The suspension is fine, but is set up not to lean over too much on corners baring in mind the roof load. So articulation off road is quite possibly not as good as a standard 110. It corners very well, but there is a price to pay for that in the twisty stuff.

Everytime I drive the Camel it puts a big smile on my face.

It was also properly made. The off road bits on it were not bolted on by Joe Bloggs in a shed somewhere. That gives me confidence when I load my family into it. For this and the smile it gives, it is not over rated at all. :)

Unless there's some special component you really 'must have', if you're capable I really feel that honestly just building your own gets you exactly what you want. If it's the historical nature, just remember the "Grandfathers Axe" axiom, sooner or latter you'll have replaced most of the components anyway.

If I was building something to that specific purpose I'd start with an Ex-mod 3-door 110 and a Richards chassis anyway.

I priced up building a decent 110 5 door for the family with just the parts I wanted for overlanding. Winch, full cage, twin tanks, roof tent etc.. Cost was several thousand more than the Camel was.

Hence my decision.

It will also depreciate less.

Turns out the Camel club are a nice bunch too. Bonus! :)

I priced up building a decent 110 5 door for the family with just the parts I wanted for overlanding. Winch, full cage, twin tanks, roof tent etc.. Cost was several thousand more than the Camel was.

Hence my decision.

It will also depreciate less.

Turns out the Camel club are a nice bunch too. Bonus! :)

Thats how it worked out for us too... When I priced up the cost of adding all the bits we wanted on my lovely shiney 110 CSW that I had at the time, the Camel worked out cheaper.

Even though our 110 doesn't come out much these days, it still puts a smile on my face when I take it out for a spin.

I've not had any weight or handling issues as mentioned by Ali. Yes, there is extra weight, but to be honest if you are going to prep up a standard 110 to that sort of spec you are going to get to that weight anyway!!

At the end of the day, they are fun vehicles to own, and with the exception of that ridiculously expensive one on ebay at the mo, they are actually good value for money.

Dan :)