Metric or Imperial?

Perhaps a silly question to all you experianced Land Rover chappies, but are the nuts and bolts on my 1998 110 metric or imperial?

I only have metric spanners and they seem very loose, happy to buy an imperial set but not unless I need them.

Thanks for your replies,

Bob R

The vast majority on a defender should be metric. There are still a few hang overs from previous generations, but not many on a 1998 vehicle.

If your spanners don't fit well have you tried another brand? I rashly assume they are decent quality ;)

Cheers

Mark

I was removing the side steps and ended up having to remove the sills to get a one bolt. The sills and side steps were rounding off.

I was then fitting a new step rail and had to undo the bulthead retaining bolt. 19 mm socket head slipped, 3/4" fitted like a glove and after a lot of grunt, I got the nut off. Fortunately I had two 3/4" sockets and room to get in.

Is it just a case of working to best fit? I have imperial sockets but not spanners. Think a trip to Halfords is on again!

Bob R

The big bulkhead bolt is an M12, so it will be metric. Also 3/4" is 19.04mm, so should actually have been looser!

Bolt heads rust and get smaller though, which causes problems.

What i've tried to do is get 6 sided sockets for all the common sizes rather than the more usual 12 point sockets. The 6 sided ones tend to slip less, and even if your 19mm bolt head is now only 18.37mm becuase its rusty, it will still undo it!

Thanks guys.

The six sided sockets sounds a good idea, where's best to get them? Are six sided spanners a good idea as well, do they do them.

Sorry if this's pretty basic, but my hands are in a right state this morning but I did enjoy the work

Bob R

halfords do them individually certainly, but they're not really cost effective from there unless your buying a box set. I have one of the large 150px halfords kits, which has a selection of 6 sided sockets in it, and i've added extras to it over the years.

Your local friendly tool supplier will be able to source them, you can probably even buy a rail with a full set of them.

For example:

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Socket-Set-WallDrive-10pc-1-2Sq-Drive-Metric-Sealey-AK2791

I've never seen 6 sided spanners, but they might exist?

BobI use mostly six sided sockets in 3/8 drive from Snap-On...Spanners are all 12 sided. You do need the 12 at times so use spanners. The calliper bolts require a 12 sided 13mm socket...Most of the others do not.

Halfords do a nice range of rachet combination spanners.

One imperial size worth getting in maybe ring and flat is 9/16 AF, as that is the size of the propshaft bolts, as sooner or later you'll have to do a u/j. There are special spanners sold, and I have one but find a good old Britool ring gets a better grip, but the bolts are a bit tricky to get at. Either way you'll need one for the nut & one for the bolt. I have some 'metrinch' six sided sockets and spanners which are excellent on rounded and rusted fasteners as they drive on the flats rather than the corners, and can be used on both standards up to a point - I think there are other similar ones out there. A 1/2" socket is quite good on rusty 8mm nuts. If you're buying stuff look for known quality brands and not too chunky, so they can get into tight spots. If you want to expand, consider a set of 6 point impact sockets which though they are chunky, will take some stick.

Regards

Nigel

Can't imagine why but the battery clamps on my '92 110 are 1/4 whitworth???

It's a standard size for battery clamps - either 1/4 Whit or 13mm. They may have been replaced at some point in the past, or just using up old stock...