diff problem

hi all, d90 1987 deisel, loud grinding sound coming from somewhere, narrowed it down to front diff,(how) removed rear propshaft noise still there, put it back on, removed front propshaft noise gone,(uj's already been changed) on inspection also found what seemed to be a lot of play in flange on the transferbox is this normal? alot of play in flange on front diff, on twisting flange on diff can here what sounds like crunching,now i have a spare diff from a disco 1 removed it today and looks in very good condition, will this fit, it has a four bolt flange the same as defender diff, if so how easy would it be to fit, would i have to remove and strip all the hubs down ? :unsure::huh::) cheer's defender dinky

Play at transfer box end up to 8mm of movement is ok

(roller bearing there not tapered)

Diff sounds grim

best investigate.

hi, i got alot more than 8mm, might be better off changing both could i change the roller bearing without dropping tranferbox, can i use the disco diff aswell, cheer's dd

Changing the front diff is harder than the rear but not that bad. I would look through the tech archive and get stuck in. If the diff goes you are left with an undriveable vehicle, I know because it happened to me. You will have to remove the hubs to get the diff out and put the new one back in but it only took me about a day in total to do this. You may want to inspect the bearings on the ball joints whilst you are doing this job because now would be the time to do a complete front end rebuild rather than having to go back in a few months time.

Changing the front diff is harder than the rear but not that bad. I would look through the tech archive and get stuck in. If the diff goes you are left with an undriveable vehicle, I know because it happened to me. You will have to remove the hubs to get the diff out and put the new one back in but it only took me about a day in total to do this. You may want to inspect the bearings on the ball joints whilst you are doing this job because now would be the time to do a complete front end rebuild rather than having to go back in a few months time.

hi,been through tech's twice can't see anything about front diff change or roller bearing change on the transferbox, as anybody got a link,could start the work this morning if so, cheer's dd

Also i went to landrover for a genuine bearing and oil seal instead of buying cheap rubish the cheaky ba****ds tried selling me britpart stuff a genuine landrover prices

i got the bearing from a bearing stockest in hull common bearing fits alsorts of things

bearing is a 6207 £13.40 (landrover wanted £36.45 for britpart)

oil seal is ftc4939 £2.49 + vat and postage from britpart (landrover wanted £8.98 for same make)

Also i went to landrover for a genuine bearing and oil seal instead of buying cheap rubish the cheaky ba****ds tried selling me britpart stuff a genuine landrover prices

i got the bearing from a bearing stockest in hull common bearing fits alsorts of things

bearing is a 6207 £13.40 (landrover wanted £36.45 for britpart)

oil seal is ftc4939 £2.49 + vat and postage from britpart (landrover wanted £8.98 for same make)

hi, like to thank you all for your replies find them very helpful, ;):):D cheer's defender dinky

they are slightly heavier but a quicker way of pulling the shafts from the front diff is to just unbolt each wheel station and pull the whole lot out far enough to get the shafts out of the diff, brake lines may limited the ability to do this depending on how long they are!

they are slightly heavier but a quicker way of pulling the shafts from the front diff is to just unbolt each wheel station and pull the whole lot out far enough to get the shafts out of the diff, brake lines may limited the ability to do this depending on how long they are!

hi, just to let you all know diff sorted, exchanged it with the spare disco on ene i had all grinding noise gone, :):):D thanks again for your replies and advice, defender dinky