Trailer security?

jericho

Just looking for some recommendations on how to secure a trailer,both while out and about,and while it is stored.

There are many different wheel clamps and hitch locks available,but which are good,and which are rubbish?

Any other suggestions on how to stop it going astray?

I suspect this has been covered before,but I tried searching and found not much.

Thanks

i've had 2 brian james AD trailers nicked :(

mine is now hidden away ;) then got a load of RSJ H beams cut up, accompanied with 20 bags of cement + stone then another 4 or 5 locks...

what i've learnt is nothing will stop them - but may as well slow them down or at least try and deter them !

G

i've had 2 brian james AD trailers nicked sad.gif

mine is now hidden away wink.gif then got a load of RSJ H beams cut up, accompanied with 20 bags of cement + stone then another 4 or 5 locks...

what i've learnt is nothing will stop them - but may as well slow them down or at least try and deter them !

G

Just looking at the same myself, I have just spent nearley £100 on a very secure wheel clamp (type clampers use)as this seemed the best option, I looked at hitch locks but convinced myself that you could still tow a trailer with one on after reading a story about less honest members of socity using a piece of chain and a pin hitch to tow the trailer away and then sorting it out with a gas axe in a suitable location..... I am also going for a Datatag system on my unit visible plate and chip system not a lot of money either.

As above if they want it they will take it wheel clamp Hiab gets around but it may make it more difficult, I will also be getting a big ground anchor and chain and hope....

Jason.

iv'e allways fancied afull lenth 100ft winch cable fastened very securly up near the hitch of the trailer and to something very solid behind it , curling it up out of sight i'd be a real shock to the system to get stopped instantly at 15miles an hour :rolleyes:

When out and about mine is never alone long enough to worry - and when at home I go for the option of leaving it in a highly visible place with a wheel missing on the viewed side. I don't think hiding things away is always the best security - it just gives the thief more privacy and they seem to be able to spot them anyway: The other day a gentleman pulled up and enquired whether I had any scrap I waned to get rid of - when I said no, he said 'what about that engine?' :o I couldn't believe he had actually seen it under it's pile of old overalls, bits of wood and furniture...

OT but continuing with the 'making it look like it's not in a usable state' type of security - my RRC sometimes has a cardboard sign on the steering wheel saying 'NO BRAKES!' and yellow chocks under the wheels. This is sometimes true (like now ;) ) and sometimes not...

p.s. This is worth a look:

What are you ever going to do against oxy cutting gear? :(

Stainless steel cant be cut with Gas Im told.

iv'e allways fancied afull lenth 100ft winch cable fastened very securly up near the hitch of the trailer and to something very solid behind it , curling it up out of sight i'd be a real shock to the system to get stopped instantly at 15miles an hour

mine has a 3m chain just enough to make them stop, and hopefully enough noise.