adjusting my timing

hi all when i first changed the cambelt on my 2.5td i put the injection pump on the f rather than the dot and it started first time with no smoke. it was noisy and when i pulled away it had no power and black smoke . so i re fitted it on the dot instead of the f now everything is spot on there marks but theres white smoke . it has been like this since iv have had her . so i sent it to a diesel spetialist to set the pump timing he said he had adjusted it as far as it would go and theres no more adjustment . my question is do i take off the belt and fitt it to the f mark again so it has more adjustment on the pump?

Rotation of the pump is the equivalent to almost one tooth. You may find that by moving it a tooth that you are too far the other way. Adjusting the pump is by tiny amounts at a time (1mm or less). White smoke on startup could be injectors, injector pump, poor timing, fuel leak, air in the system (low pressure).

Les.

Rotation of the pump is the equivalent to almost one tooth. You may find that by moving it a tooth that you are too far the other way. Adjusting the pump is by tiny amounts at a time (1mm or less). White smoke on startup could be injectors, injector pump, poor timing, fuel leak, air in the system (low pressure).

Les.

over the last few years iv changed the lift pump,injectors,injection pump, cracked pistons,head and gaskit,valves and cam followers but it still smokes i am determined to fix it . the only time it didnt smoke was when i fitted the cambelt out by a tooth but then i had black smoke when under load and the engine was very noisy. theres no more adjustment on the pump can you think of any other thing i could do apart from a 200tdi ?

There is a timing setting tool for the 2.5 TD and N/A engines which screws into the side of the pump and a little peg locates in a dimple inside the pump when the timing is dead perfect.

Tool is Timing Pin Injection Pump 18G 1458

I don't know if you can buy the pin seperateley though - it usually comes in a kit, such as this one -

http://www.difflock.com/buyersguide/newproducts/timing-kit/index.shtml

Les.

Tricky, Far be it for me to state the obvious but is'nt it about time you bit the bullet and bought a 200 tdi of some kind either defender or even disco to convert it and be done with mucking about with the td lump you have in there? as it seems you have been round and round in circles trying to get this one sorted-I have my flame retardent overalls on :blink:

Tricky, Far be it for me to state the obvious but is'nt it about time you bit the bullet and bought a 200 tdi of some kind either defender or even disco to convert it and be done with mucking about with the td lump you have in there? as it seems you have been round and round in circles trying to get this one sorted-I have my flame retardent overalls on blink.gif

changing the engine isnt an option i live in a small house away from were i park so anything i do to it has to be done on the main road . when i changed the chassis i did it at a mates house and got oil all over his block paving so thats a no go plus things are a bit tite i have just brought wolf wheels and tyres so the wife is still a bit raggy with me . i am sure its a timing issue it smokes on startup until you put the engine under strain then it stops strait away strange aye . but yes i would luv to chang to a 200tdi

over the last few years iv changed the lift pump,injectors,injection pump, cracked pistons,head and gaskit,valves and cam followers but it still smokes i am determined to fix it . the only time it didnt smoke was when i fitted the cambelt out by a tooth but then i had black smoke when under load and the engine was very noisy. theres no more adjustment on the pump can you think of any other thing i could do apart from a 200tdi ?

You haven't mentioned valve stem seals :ph34r:

However, I've done all the same things and a) it still puffs a bit of white smoke on start up and b) if you stamp on the loud pedal it will "make smoke", but not significantly more so than other 130k diesels I have known and loved :blink: . IIRC white smoke is unburnt diesel (late injection), black is burning oil? What state is the air filter in / can it get into?

You haven't mentioned valve stem seals ph34r.gif

However, I've done all the same things and a) it still puffs a bit of white smoke on start up and b) if you stamp on the loud pedal it will "make smoke", but not significantly more so than other 130k diesels I have known and loved blink.gif . IIRC white smoke is unburnt diesel (late injection), black is burning oil? What state is the air filter in / can it get into?

new air filter,valves,pushrods,stemseals,and rockers and shaft . the one thing i have notices is the lift pump wont pump in any positionand it hasnt got the 10mm packer. i think somebody changed it and didnt put the packer on and when i changed it i copied what was there so the pump isnt pumping properly and the injectors arnt getting enough presure until the engine is under strain i still have the packer .do you think this is a plan?

The lift pump only gets the fuel to the injector pump, which then pressurises the fuel to the injectors. I doubt the lift pump will make any difference to the smoke. You may have a 'long foot' pump, so a spacer isn't necessary, but if it isn't pumping fuel anyway, then it needs replacing.

Les.

The lift pump only gets the fuel to the injector pump, which then pressurises the fuel to the injectors. I doubt the lift pump will make any difference to the smoke. You may have a 'long foot' pump, so a spacer isn't necessary, but if it isn't pumping fuel anyway, then it needs replacing.

Les.

les just shot my best plan down in flames has anybody else got another idea i can try?