"Safari-Style" snorkels

ChrisB

I've seen them. They don't appear as good a grade of plastic and the top is moulded so doesn't rotate. Any damage to the top (which I guess could easily happen) would result in breakage and complete replacement.

I haven't used one though, but seeing one at Craddocks was enough to stop me buying one.

Irrespective of the plastic I wouldnt touch it as the non rotateable head means that driving in heavy rain you will probably get water down it and into the airbox - cue rusted air filter or worse (I made the mistake once with my southdown one when I forgot to rotate the head around)

Personnally I dont think u can beat a southdown snorkle, I have one from their seconds store on ebay, cost about the same and is superb, Much slimer and better fitting in my opinion.

Cheers

Ryck

Ok, looks like I'll be avoiding those then! I was concerned about quality of plastic, having seen the type of abuse a proper Safari one would happily take.

I guess I'll start looking at Southdown - I quite like the idea of a stainless pipe, but aren't they much narrower than a Safari - or did I just make that up from somewhere? Experiences and opinions please!

Chris

Ok, looks like I'll be avoiding those then! I was concerned about quality of plastic, having seen the type of abuse a proper Safari one would happily take.

I guess I'll start looking at Southdown - I quite like the idea of a stainless pipe, but aren't they much narrower than a Safari - or did I just make that up from somewhere? Experiences and opinions please!

Chris

I have had no issues with my southdown one either performance or with the quality of the pipe/mounts its been really tough. However if you do decide to go down the B&Q style build your own then you can get southdown tops from their ebay store directly to finish it off if you want that style.

Cheers

I got sent this a few days ago.

Long winded but worth reading.

S.

Field Bulletin 22nd Dec. 2009

DON’T GET BURNT!

Copies of Safari Snorkel Systems Manufactured in China

People place a great deal of trust in a snorkel system and over the years, Safari snorkels have built a

reputation as the ultimate insurance against engine damage from dust and water.

Consumers have never experienced poor quality copy snorkels from China

Unfortunately, during 2009, a veritable flood of low cost snorkels began appearing on the market.

Whilst they appear to be exact copies of Safari snorkels, there are a number of issues that must

be exposed in order to educate the consumer who may have never experienced poor quality copy

products manufactured from inferior materials in China.

S afari snorkel systems are manufactured from Australian plastics with special additives

Safari snorkel systems are manufactured in Australia

from Australian plastic materials that contain special

additives. The base polymer and additives are

compounded under precise conditions through

exacting chemical reactions to create a

homogeneous material that has exceptional

resistance to the sun’s damaging rays, strong

physical properties and tough impact resistance.

Under the microscope, it is clearly evident that there

is no graininess. The result is strong bonding down

to the molecular level and consistent distribution and

performance of all the additives throughout the entire

component.

Safari Snorkel material - No graininess and

strong bonding down to the molecular level

Cheap Chinese copies use poorly compounded and inferior materials

The cheap Chinese copies however are a minefield

of problems and a real trap for the unwary consumer

who would understandably expect the same level of

product performance. Whilst the copy components

look very similar to the genuine Safari snorkel and

are promoted as using a similar base polyethylene

material, the key points of difference are what

ADDITIVES are then mixed with the base material

and the MANNER in which the (correct) additives

are MIXED or COMPOUNDED with the base

material.

Under the microscope, the cheap Chinese snorkel

material displays a distinctly grainy or crystal like

structure where the additive/colouring agents simply

coat the base material – rather than combining in a

homogeneous structure.

Chinese Copy Snorkel Material - distinctly

grainy or crystal like structure where additive

and colouring agents simply coat the base

material. Consistency varies markedly

throughout the part.

Poor level of material consistency throughout the component

To make matters worse, when sampled from different areas, the consistency of the material and

mix of the Chinese copy snorkel varies markedly depending upon what part of the component is

analysed. This has a huge impact upon the level of UV and structural performance of the

component and even if some areas could be considered satisfactory, others are not.

Poor UV resistance to the Sun's rays and brittle when cold

This means that UV resistance becomes a

serious problem and that these components

will degrade markedly under prolonged

exposure to the sun. Moreover, the physical

properties are again markedly different to the

genuine Safari component – particularly at

cold ambient temperatures where a knock

from a passing branch can crack the snorkel

body – rendering it useless and dangerous at

the next water crossing.

Put simply, the inferior Chinese manufactured

copy product cannot be relied upon to deliver

the level of component performance and durability that Safari customers have enjoyed for over

three decades. Regardless of cost, there is no peace of mind with inferior products.

Impact Damage - Cracked snorkel body from a blow

that barely marks the surface of a genuine Safari

snorkel.

S ame problem with cheap Chinese outdoor equipment

To draw a parallel, professionally molded Australian recreational outdoor equipment such as

children’s playgrounds have been used by schools and councils for years. These products are

manufactured from the correctly compounded materials and enjoy many years of durable service

life out under the harsh Australian sun.

Contrast this with inferior home use playground equipment from China that is sold through large

discount chains. As many parents would know, it would be unusual for the product to last one

Australian summer without discolouring and cracking.

H ardware corrosion that spreads to the vehicle

Whilst the mounting hardware and brackets may look the same, there are huge discrepancies in

the material quality. For example, hose clamps that have a stainless steel band are often

constructed with a plain steel screw. Brackets are often mild steel and then painted or even

worse, studs in the wrong grade of stainless steel or plated mild steel. Inserts in the snorkel body

are often made of aluminium or plated steel. The list goes on and unfortunately for the consumer,

the problems don’t appear for some time - but when they do, it will be too late. The corrosion will

most likely have fused components together and rust spread to vehicle panels.

All genuine Safari snorkel fasteners, clamps and brackets are 100% stainless steel, of the correct

grade for the job and the stud inserts formed inside the snorkel body are high quality brass for a

lifetime of component serviceability and zero corrosion.

Consumers must have total trust in a snorkel system

It is our strong belief at Safari that inferior materials and manufacturing techniques have

no place on vital components such as snorkels. As 4WD enthusiasts, we rely on our

snorkels for total peace of mind to protect the engine against harmful water and dust. That

can only be achieved with a snorkel you can trust – the genuine Australian made Safari

snorkel system.

Safari Automotive Pty. Ltd.

73 Merrindale Drive, South Croydon 3136 Australia.

http://www.safarisnorkel.com

Tel: +61 3 9761 7244 Fax: +61 3 9761 7665

I didnt read the whole bit above about the cheap imported "safari" snorkels, but the reason the original head rotates is to prevent rain and heavy dust particals getting in when facing backward, but the original also vents any rain/water out when facing forward.

It has 4 ports in the head to take rain away.

Also the original will also put up with a massive amount of abuse !!

wizard

I didnt read the whole bit above about the cheap imported "safari" snorkels, but the reason the original head rotates is to prevent rain and heavy dust particals getting in when facing backward, but the original also vents any rain/water out when facing forward.

It has 4 ports in the head to take rain away.

Also the original will also put up with a massive amount of abuse !!

wizard

Yes. However a word to the wise as one of our group this weekend found out on our tightest lane. This being that should u potrivet the snorkle top to the main section to prevent it growing legs in the night. Then be prepared that when its ripped off both it and the main section are fairly well mangaled espically if you compound the problem by driving over your snorkle top afterwards :P.

On a serious note though does anyone know if safari use a memory plastic, as I read somewhere that it can be heated back into place?

Cheers

Ryck

On a serious note though does anyone know if safari use a memory plastic, as I read somewhere that it can be heated back into place?

Dunno, but maybe you could use the mangled bits to play with and report back .. ;)