Trying to put a clock a 300tdi

Have managed to get a clock for the Defender and as you can guess there are no visible wires to use (demon wire monster got there first). so at present it looks nice but sadly it's always at one o'clock. Any advice/suggestions greatly received.

Cheers Mutley

Thanks guys......So do I just take a spur off the purple wire then? and which wire do I use for

the illumination connection?.........God I love this site :D

check at the other gauges for the illumination wire colour, it's red with a white tracer, if the clock is going in the panel with rear wash/wipe switch ther maybe a red with orange tracer, you can use that instead.

Cheers Western...Sadly this Landy is as basic as they come no heated rear window no rear wiper :(

The clocks going in on the instrument panel next to the temperature gauge.

From what I can see the wires for the fuel and temp gauges seem to be green :huh: but as it was gettin dark and me some what how shall we say? FFFFFuuuustrated :( trying to hold the work light in my teeth a wishing my neck was double jointed, decided to leave it for now and come and pick your brains :D

PS. Any chance of you moving to the midlands in the near future Western, say Nottingham? :D

Each gauge will have three wires on one plug and probably two on another (smaller) one. The second one is the illumination.

For the main larger plugs:

• For the signal wires, fuel should be Green/Black, and temperature should be Green/Blue.
  • For the earth wires, both should be Black.
  • For the 12V ignition power, both should be White/Green (or possible just Green).

For the smaller plugs:

• The illumination feed should be Red/White
  • The earth should be Black.

For your clock, you need to tap into a purple wire for a permanent 12V feed (may be one back there ready as a clock was a factory fit option), and one of the Red/White wires for an illumination feed. And a black for earth.

Cheers Western...Sadly this Landy is as basic as they come no heated rear window no rear wiper :(

The clocks going in on the instrument panel next to the temperature gauge.

From what I can see the wires for the fuel and temp gauges seem to be green :huh: but as it was gettin dark and me some what how shall we say? FFFFFuuuustrated :( trying to hold the work light in my teeth a wishing my neck was double jointed, decided to leave it for now and come and pick your brains :D

PS. Any chance of you moving to the midlands in the near future Western, say Nottingham? :D

No chance of me moving to the Midlands, Sorry, it's very pleasant down here :P

connections as retro has listed ^^^^

Got a couple in mind to do, change timing belt and renew near side swivel joint seal as it appears to be leaking

slightly....As I don't have a garage or workshop they will have to wait for the good weather that and when i can get a few days off together, in the mean time I'm reading up on both jobs in the Haynes manual. I'm ok at following instructions it's just when you come across a problem that's not been covered, don't have the balls to try with out knowing mainly because like most people money is a bit tight and don't want the expense of putting something else right, sadly I aint the luckiest bloke alive and if it can go wrong it will! Take the clock for example every other Defender out there probably had the wires there ready but no not mine! At least I'm learning and enjoy it too so it's not all bad.