cv joint replacement

hi there i'm still working on my landy taking so much of my time but i'm enjoying it a lot so far even though i'm only a novice but learning a lot from you guys!!! now i've discover i need to replace my right hand cv joint!!!! is there any thread with pics or could someone help me with this please!and also what part number should i get and is it better to get a kit!!! my landy is a defender 90 2.5td year 1988 a J reg i think not sure!!!

thanks a lot

thierry

• 3 months later...

hi there i think i've put this post ages ago :huh: but i did'nt see and thread on the tech archive. but it's quiet straight forward the only bit which is tricky is to remove the old cv on the shaft i've secure the shaft in a soft grip and use a copper mallet to knock the cv off. don't forget to put a new circlip when putting the new cv. also i've cable tie the caliper first instead of rmoving the brake hose so avoiding the bleeding hassle. ask if you are stuck with something

thierry

hi there i think i've put this post ages ago :huh: but i did'nt see and thread on the tech archive. but it's quiet straight forward the only bit which is tricky is to remove the old cv on the shaft i've secure the shaft in a soft grip and use a copper mallet to knock the cv off. don't forget to put a new circlip when putting the new cv. also i've cable tie the caliper first instead of rmoving the brake hose so avoiding the bleeding hassle. ask if you are stuck with something

thierry

I couldnt find it either but found some info on another forum. Doesnt look too bad a job to be honest. Thanks for the help. Neil

If you need any help, please tell.

Ive recently done this job, it take me 4 mornings...to complete ,i've change the cv's and half shafts, and the bearings, seals...everything is new...

In a few days i will do the other side, but first i need to solve the problems of my defender (ignition,diff seal bust....transfer box....)...

go to this site...there is some information about the parts tha goes there...

http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/90/6_axles_suspension_engine_controls_p475-580.pdf

hope this helps too..

http://www.fag.hiof.no/~frodehaa/axle.htm