Shocks / Springs

If you want to use standard shocks on a 2 inch lift you need drop plates on rear and different turrets on front so that the shocks don't hit the ends of their travel.

ignore the above as its wrong. All landrover shocks are built in with internal stops. Whether you use extended or standard shocks the limiting factor in downward travel is the length of the shock. Remember the springs on a landrover are NOT retained.

If you fit lowered shock mounts you very much run the risk of actually damaging your shocks under full suspension compression. Ignore what the ride height is at rest on a flat bit of tarmac, even with a lift you can still get your axle up to the rubber bumpstop. Lower the shock and you'll bottom it out and smash it to bits.

ignore the above as its wrong. All landrover shocks are built in with internal stops. Whether you use extended or standard shocks the limiting factor in downward travel is the length of the shock. Remember the springs on a landrover are NOT retained.

If you fit lowered shock mounts you very much run the risk of actually damaging your shocks under full suspension compression. Ignore what the ride height is at rest on a flat bit of tarmac, even with a lift you can still get your axle up to the rubber bumpstop. Lower the shock and you'll bottom it out and smash it to bits.

Well that is exactly what Gwyn Lewis fitted for me and he showed me the shocks reaching their stops just by rocking the body. It is all OME too. Drop plates and turrets to suit. Not sure anymore who is right.

I fitted two inch higher springs on my wifes disco (originals were sagging a bit and i had my 90"'s spares in the shed) Just popped them on and been running for two years now with the original dampers, mainly on road but we tow alot with it on and offroad and had no problems whatsoever over the last 30,000 miles.

Steve

Well that is exactly what Gwyn Lewis fitted for me and he showed me the shocks reaching their stops just by rocking the body. It is all OME too. Drop plates and turrets to suit. Not sure anymore who is right.

dont get me wrong - fitting lowered shock mounts will free up shock travel in the downward plane, BUT if you dont limit uptravel in some way (either by fitting +2" bumpstops or having springs so stiff you cant get the axle up to the original bumpstops) you will bottom out the shock and damage it.

I will hazard a guess that the GL system you have has longer bumpstops or very stiff springs...

I fitted two inch higher springs on my wifes disco (originals were sagging a bit and i had my 90"'s spares in the shed) Just popped them on and been running for two years now with the original dampers, mainly on road but we tow alot with it on and offroad and had no problems whatsoever over the last 30,000 miles.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Music to my ears... :)