cv joints

i need to change my cv joints and was wondering how long it will take ?

i may attempt it myself too but in germany theres so many laws dealing with the enviroment that im kind of snookered (dont have a garage)

if i give it to a mechanic how long do you suppose it should take him?

someone suggested changing the whole front axle? is that a feasable approach :unsure:

thanx in advance.

i spoke to a bloke on the phone from craddocks he told me that he can do it in 45 mins?? does that sound realistic?

also what other jobs "may as well" be done whilst im at it? like bearings etc would that make logical sense?

sorry i always ask so many questions :ph34r:

The only thing that would *need* replacing would be the gaskets. One for the drive flange to hub joint, and one for the stub axle to swivel housing.

I wouldn't change anything else unless necessary. But check the condition of the bearings, seals etc in the hub, and the stub axle itself, for wear. As well as the drive flange splines. If anything needs changing then do so.

You could change the hub cap as well I guess.

45 minutes would probably be doable on a brand new car in a Sparkford workshop if nothing went wrong, but in the real world I'd allow a couple of hours as Les suggested

Guest noggy

i spoke to a bloke on the phone from craddocks he told me that he can do it in 45 mins?? does that sound realistic?

also what other jobs "may as well" be done whilst im at it? like bearings etc would that make logical sense?

sorry i always ask so many questions :ph34r:

nope 45mins is quite doable as long as all the bolts come out easy!

you will need to remove the caliper etc, so bleeding brakes is needed!

follow Les's guide in the tech archive, its dead easy!

hi there i did mine yesterday evening after work took me a couple of hours but it's easy enought as long as you take your time and pay attention of what you are doing you'll be fine. the only tricky part is to seperate the cv joint from the stub axle but it could be easy if place in a vise! i've taken pictures of disassemble and reassembly with the new cv i'm going to upload them hopefully during the week.

p.s: that was my first attempt but with the help of the other lads so just ask for help if you are stuck

thierry