Quick question on 200tdi conversion

Morning all,

I'm putting a disco 200tdi engine into my 90, and I'm currently swapping the bellhousing over from the 2.5TD. I'll be needing to renew the gasket between the bellhousing and the engine block. Is there a difference between the 2.5TD gasket, and the 200tdi gasket? If so which one should I order?

Thanks,

Chris

Morning all,

I'm putting a disco 200tdi engine into my 90, and I'm currently swapping the bellhousing over from the 2.5TD. I'll be needing to renew the gasket between the bellhousing and the engine block. Is there a difference between the 2.5TD gasket, and the 200tdi gasket? If so which one should I order?

Thanks,

Chris

Just wondering why you are changing the bell-housing? The Disco one should fit the gearbox OK but you will need to tap out a few of the holes at the bottom, I did when I did my 2.5NA. An intellegent person will correct me if I'm wrong I am sure.

Andy

Ah, that's given me a bit of a choice now. I must admit I foolishly only found out about the bellhousing problem after trying to fit the engine.

So I can either tap or replace the bellhousing. A couple of further questions if I may?

1) What size do I need to tap the new holes

2) Is there a guide to replacing the crank seal anywhere? I've tried searching the site, and unfortunately the old estonian manual archive is offline. (at least the downloads are anyway!)

Thanks,

Chris

Ah, that's given me a bit of a choice now. I must admit I foolishly only found out about the bellhousing problem after trying to fit the engine.

So I can either tap or replace the bellhousing. A couple of further questions if I may?

1) What size do I need to tap the new holes - M10

2) Is there a guide to replacing the crank seal anywhere? I've tried searching the site, and unfortunately the old estonian manual archive is offline. (at least the downloads are anyway!) Don't know, have you searched the Tech Archive?

Thanks,

Chris

Defender manual, says fill the seal groove with sealant [RTV] & fit with a new gasket.

for the rear crank seal, fit the housing first then fit the seal, lightly lubricate the end of the crank & the seal lip, to help the seal slide on.

Excellent, well I went for the tapping the disco bellhousing method, unfortunately despite tapping to the full depth the thread pulled out when torquing up. But I've decided to leave it as it is, as I'm running short on time to get this done.

Now my further bad luck with bolts continues with trying to do the timing belt. 1 bolt sheered when removing the water pump, and 1 bolt sheered when remove the timing cover. Both in the top right hand corner (as looking at the engine from the front). I would be eternally grateful if someone could look up the part numbers for these bolts so I could order some new ones, or if someone has some of these spare and can post there's some beer tokens in it for you!

Thanks,

Chris