what amp welder

DAN82SED

im looking at getting a welder so that i can replace my rear crossmember on my 110. on a really tight budget and wont be using it all that often. what amp gas mig would anyone recomment. been looking at clarke 150a mig for around £300

As an ex-welder 150amp should be fine for what you need, 0.6mm wire is a bit of a pain cos it always gets tangled in the pinch rollers so run 0.8mm wire if you can. Have a look on ebay to see what else you can get for £300, like the other member said the higher the amps the better but anything above 250amps would be better on 3 phase power supply. I've no had much use of the gasless mig welders so would recomend a CO2/Argoshield set, you then have the option to try gasless mig wire if you want to.

Happy welding!

i can highly recomend this company,i bought a new welder from him a couple of months ago.

They are really good to deal with, we buy all our welders and consumables from them. They also usually have some second hand/ ex demo / repaired welders etc in stock :D

You could do worse than asking a local welding-gubbins supplier. We just got a Hobart 350A/80% duty-cycle 3-phase mammoth with a reel of 1mm wire and a new lance for under £300. This is a guy we've known for a while, so there was a bit of mate's rates, but not enough to turn a bad deal into a good one.

The thing even comes set up to do water-cooling if you have the appropriate torch. According to him, we might need it if we're doing more than 4 hours straight on rsj's or armour plating :blink:

He did say that he finds it easier to sourch good 3-phase stuff than single phase though.

cheers for the feedback guy, im a complete newb, never even touched a welder before so gateful for all input. have been looking a 2nd hand ones on tintranet but dont like the gamble. found a welding suppliers up the road so gonna try there on saturday. is it gas or gasless that is alright to weld outside?

cheers for the feedback guy, im a complete newb, never even touched a welder before so gateful for all input. have been looking a 2nd hand ones on tintranet but dont like the gamble. found a welding suppliers up the road so gonna try there on saturday. is it gas or gasless that is alright to weld outside?

Worth having a look here too.

You will find lots of welding advice on there for newbies and experienced alike.