Good N Bad news

Bad News:

I tried to replace hub seal today … the seal didn’t fit and they had given me the wrong tab washer too.

Whilst under the 90 found two extra holes in the chassis…. So not such a good day.

Good(ish) News:

Looked at stub axle and it’s as smooth as a babies bum no pitting and the seal seams fine???

However that doesn’t explain why the bloody thing still leaks oil like a BP rig!

Have posted images see what you think

Opinions sought!!!!!

The only thing I can find is a very small dent in the rubber of the spacer that buts up to the race.

See images :(

post-13733-127819216783_thumb.jpg

post-13733-127819218273_thumb.jpg

post-13733-127819219769_thumb.jpg

post-13733-127819221834_thumb.jpg

post-13733-127819222675_thumb.jpg

It actually looks to me (although that part of the pic isn't too clear) that the part on the stub axle where the inner oil seal runs is actually grooved badly. any grooving here will cause you premature failure of the seal.

Also using Britpart will cause you premature failure and the parts probably won't fit in the first place.

Steve

Stub axle has marks where I expect the seal lip to run, but from the pics I can't tell what the surface finish is like. The seal pics don't show the vital section that should be inspected so they could be total rubbish as far as oil seals go.

As others have said it is best to use the double lip seal. The seals that Land Rover specify now are not particularly useful oil seals - they are only meant to retain grease now, but perform poorly and are best avoided.

It actually looks to me (although that part of the pic isn't too clear) that the part on the stub axle where the inner oil seal runs is actually grooved badly. any grooving here will cause you premature failure of the seal.

x2 ^^^

This big groove by 'ere:

post-8420-127823521966_thumb.jpg