How to prepare garage floor for painting

Really as the title says, what should I do to prepare my garage floor for painting.

It was done when the garage was built about 5 years agoand lasted ok for about 2 years, but now it is a bit shabby so I would like to spruce it up a bit.

The only problem are the oil (and other) stains - will they effect the paint? I have a tin of International Garage floor paint that I intend to use.

Should I give it a wash down with something first? I dont want to use th epressure washer as I do not intend emptying all my carp stock out, I will just clear the floor and paint round the shelf units etc.

any advice?

P.V.A It first!! ;)

Ian

Good advice........... the only other advice that i could give would be to thin down the first coat of paint, and let that dry then apply another coat neat................... and then let it dry fully before you park ANYTHING on it.......... otherwsise the paint will stick to the tyres and come off when you roll it out.......

We did a warehouse floor recently - the paint we used (can't remember make) said to apply direct to concrete, we just had to sweep it all first, then apply the 1st coat thinned down 50/50, then leave it over night, then paint it neat.

Just neat PVA or should it be watered down?

Would this be instead of thinned down coat? or should it be PVA then thin coat then full coat?

water it down so its nice and thin, give the floor a good clean, get all the dust off.

One good coat of that and let dry for a few hours, the floor will be sealed good and propper.

The paint should then stick like brown stuff to a blanket! ;)

When i did mine i was told to diloted some of the acid you put in your pool and clean the floor with that. It gets rid of all the oil and carp of the floor. Then wash with clean water and let dry and your ready to paint. Pretty easy i have a load of pool acid and you can buy it everywhere and it cheap