Is it a 10 spline or 24 sline rear axle on 200Tdi Disco 1?

optixelectrics

I have chassis number ******KA060036. I want to put on an ARB air diff locker for the rear axle, but dont know if I have a 10 or 24 spline axle. It is all original. I have seen a RD127 ARB unit on ebay (£495 new). Is this what I need?

Thanks, Myk

I have just realised this post is in the wrong area.... Admin can you move it to Discovery 1 please?!

I would pull a rear half-shaft (only a few bolts) to check, will only take five mins :)

I agree with James better safe than sorry! :)

You want the RD-128 For 24 spline or the 127 if you have 10 spline........You would be better to swap to 24 spline if you do have 10 as you can upgrade the shafts much easier.

Dave.

Should be easy to check. Discos with 10 spline used the "mushroom" type halfshaft while the 24 spline ones have the rubber capped circlip type. Should not be necessary to pull a shaft out to see the difference. I have had both on a 200 disco but the 24 spline one also had the later cable type handbrake.... maybe worth checking what you have on that front too (though knowing landrover it is no true indication!)

Should be easy to check. Discos with 10 spline used the "mushroom" type halfshaft while the 24 spline ones have the rubber capped circlip type. Should not be necessary to pull a shaft out to see the difference. I have had both on a 200 disco but the 24 spline one also had the later cable type handbrake.... maybe worth checking what you have on that front too (though knowing landrover it is no true indication!)

Not true unfortunately Pikey me old mate - I had a 200TDi Disco with "flat" one piece shaft / drive flanges that I immediately assumed to be 10 spline. Was pleasantly surprised to discover they were 24 spline.

The only way to be sure is to pull a shaft as suggested above. If you are spending £100's on an ARB is it not worth investing 5 minutes in checking first? Also, what condition are the shafts in? The ARB will make them work much harder.

Another thing to consider is, if yours turn out to be 10 spline, getting a 24 spline second hand diff and fitting 24 spline shafts and getting a 24 spline ARB. The shafts in standard form a marginally stronger that 10 spline but the real advantage is the availability of uprated 24 spline shafts. You only have one option for uprated 10 spline.