removing old gasket material

V8 90 JON

I use a similar tool to Aragorn above but you can buy them in any diy shop like B&Q or Wickes. They are sold as paint scrapers for removing overpaint from the glass in your windows. Very useful tool if you have my glossing skills ;)

Mo

trying to remove old composite residue from head and block faces on a v8 any suggestions cos its stuck like s#it to a blanketsad.gif

I use two methods for properly stuck gasket material.

One is a set of gasket removal scrapers made by Facom. They are made from metal, looks a bit like a woodworking chisel but are thinner, rather bendy and are ground in a different way. I've removed lots of gaskets swiftly and with no damage to the gasketting surface - just like it said on the box.

Method two, for really nasty stuff, is a rotating plastic "wire wheel" for an electric drill. They are made by 3M for the purpose of removing gaskets. The material looks like a sponge with big holes, but is stiff to the touch. Don't use any random old plastic "wire wheel", make sure you get one made for the job.