Replacing front window channels - how?

Jon White

Mate of mine is trying to replace one of the front window channels on his E reg rangie. It sthe bit of metal with the rubber strip inside that clips to the bottom of the glass that engages onto the electric winder mechanism.

Anyone got a trick to get the glass into the rubber in the strip, or vice versa? We've tried all sorts and cannot persuade it in! Is the onyl way to do it by taking the glass out and basically hammering it on?

Thanks

Jon

Jon,

I think that is actually what you have to do, albiet carefully!! :lol:

I suppose you could try using the winder mechanism itself to force the channel ontot the glass in the "up" position? Maybe with a little prying with a screwdriver to open the channel up a bit?

Sigh - well Jason has already bent it to hell, got the hump with it, and succeeded in snapping the spot welded bit off the bottom and it still wont go on!!! Try again once I've welded the bottom of it back on time......

Sigh.......

Mutter

Grumble........

Sigh.......

Jon

I vaguely remember doing this job on my Rangie when the old one rusted away completely after being repaired with a bit of old tea towel... :huh::lol:

IIRC I prised open the channel a bit, put the rubber in position, then added PLENTY of lube... washing up liquid seemed to work for me :blink::ph34r:

Then with a bit of huffin'n'puffin, you should be able to get it in! ;)

And you'll have the added bonus of Lemon Zest smellin doors :lol:

Dan :)