Leaf over modification

Great tech there Koos, I've always loved your build and it looks like it works really well too. Just remember that it was I who started the Toyrover thing :P

Thanks! It does work really well atm. I've added that 3rd leaf to the front springs and that transformed the ride for the better, much firmer. It just sits a bit tall at the front. Next sunday there's an offroad event that I'll be attending. Hopefully that helps sag the front springs a bit, otherwise I'll go and shorten the 3rd leaf a bit more to reduce its effect.

Oh by the way, MY brakes are awesome ;):P

Whahaaa... perhaps... when did you put those 80series axles under your disco? I put a BJ42 motor and tranny in the 109 back in 2007 ;)

Blimey, Koos, that's impressive! It's a hell of a change from your RR axle conversion, never mind what you had before! :)

Thank you :D

It sure is a massive change. But one for the better! On and offroad performance have increased 100%, it rides SO much better now! And it looks pretty awesome too!

My mate's 109" is just about finished. That one turned out pretty cool as well. It still sits fairly tall on new springs. It hasn't got 'eyebrows' yet, and I gotta say.... it looks impressive with those wheels sticking out THAT far. We made a nice bullbar today and the cool thing is... You wouldn't say it has its chassis extended 6" to fit the rear springs up front. The bumper only sits about 2-3" futher forward than normal..

I'll get some photos tomorrow with the 2 Toy-Rovers next to each other ;)

Its a hell of a sweet 109, i have saved your pictures for further studying :rolleyes:

Was wondering aboute those Bilstein´s if they could be rebuild? And i guess its those shims inside it, that changes the setup of them? Can you change them without having to go to some special place to get them filled again, before you can take them to use after a change of theire setup?

I´m sorry for the offtopic :ph34r:

Second try.... don't know what happened to my reply :unsure:

Great tech there Koos, I've always loved your build and it looks like it works really well too. Just remember that it was I who started the Toyrover thing :P

Thanks! Yeah, it works really well! It rides great on and more so off road. It solved all the horrible suspension caracteristics it had before too. I just need to shorten the helper leafs on the front springs, the front needs to come down a little.

You started it? When did you put those LC80 axles under your disco? I stuffed a toy motor and tranny in the 109" back in the summer of 2007 :P .

Blimey, Koos, that's impressive! It's a hell of a change from your RR axle conversion, never mind what you had before! :)

Thank you! Oh geez, you got no idea, this is SO much better! RR brakes have got nothing on these brakes! You want discs, go to LC80axles ;) . Overall, it's a much better vehicle. Just don't put heavy steel tubes on the roof and drive around, too much weight on top.....scary handling! don't ask how I know :ph34r:

That's right plasticbadger, MY brakes DO work really well ;):lol:

Oh, there's another sprung over 109" joining the club :)

IMG_8205.jpg

IMG_8206.jpg

IMG_8208.jpg

kewl :P

Its a hell of a sweet 109, i have saved your pictures for further studying :rolleyes:

Was wondering aboute those Bilstein´s if they could be rebuild? And i guess its those shims inside it, that changes the setup of them? Can you change them without having to go to some special place to get them filled again, before you can take them to use after a change of theire setup?

I´m sorry for the offtopic :ph34r:

No, the 5125Series can't be rebuild. You can choose between, I believe 2, different valvings. 255/70 is for solid axle leafsprings, 360/80 for solid axle coil sprung trucks.

If you wan't fully rebuildable (ones with a shrader valve to depressurize and refill the shocks with nitrogen) you'll need the 7100Series. Count on a few more $$$'s for those though.

Have a look here:

http://www.bilsteinus.com/offroad.php#5100pre

Whahaaa... perhaps... when did you put those 80series axles under your disco? I put a BJ42 motor and tranny in the 109 back in 2007 ;)

I bought my 80series axles in June 2007, but didn't really start building the Discovery until Nov/Dec 2007, so you may well win!

Here's a question for TRL: How do you find it having an extra 6" of chassis sticking out of the front? This aspect puts me off fitting longer springs to the front of mine.

I'm still wondering about fitting military front legs & longer shackles with flatter springs on mine, but it's a job for another day.

Here's a question for TRL: How do you find it having an extra 6" of chassis sticking out of the front? This aspect puts me off fitting longer springs to the front of mine.

I'm still wondering about fitting military front legs & longer shackles with flatter springs on mine, but it's a job for another day.

I got no problem with it whatsoever. The corner of my bumper occasionally digs into a bank or something but that's about it. My bumper sits in FRONT of the chassis.

With my mate's 109" we've done it differently.

His bumper slides over the chassisrails a good 3" or so. So his bumper doesn't stick out as far as mine. His approach angle is excellent, would be even more so if he had bigger tyres on it.

Compared to a standard bumper this one sits about 2" further forward.

IMG_8205.jpg

Why would you want to extend the front legs downwards with longer shackles and use flatter springs? That does hurt your approach angle! There's only 1 place for a flat, or nearly flat, leafspring and that's on TOP of the axle, not below it.

As if it wasn't high enough :lol:

I've not done the maths but I reckon extending the front legs downwards a bit, and retaining the same length of spring but with less arch would lead to softer springing, minimal loss of approach angle and would leave the front bumper etc. where it is. Notably Series front springs are 36.25" long and my tyres are 37" so no issue with approach angle there. Even with the tray for the H14 winch my front bumper is no further forward than the original Series item. I may yet put rear springs on the front, I'm sure I measured up once and didn't like the look of how far out the mount had to move, but I may revisit it.

I don't want to go SOA as I have portals already, SOA would put massive wrap loads on the spring, and I'm not a fan of having any more lift on a vehicle than is absolutely necessary. As it stands, my springs are standard parabolics sitting at standard height, the only lift is from the portals, and I have 500mm clearance under the diff on 37" tyres.

This is the best shot I've got showing approach angle:

Playing.jpg

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy