Megasquirt Success!

simonr

First of all, I'd like to thank John (FridgeFreezer) for all his help (and Resistors).

John supplied me with a MS system ready built, I being a bit short of time these days and I fitted it along with an old 3.5 efi manifold a couple of weeks ago.

But, I just could not get it to run properly. It would idle and rev in neutral no problem - but as soon as you tried revving in gear, it coughed and refused to rev above about 1200 rpm.

We thought initially it might be because I was using old, low impedance injectors - and john kindly supplied me some resistors to stick in series to turn them in to High Impedance injectors.

This did not make any difference at all.

Today I pretty much gave up on it and was going to put my old SU carbs back on. I had to walk in to town, and spent the whole time thinking about it (nearly getting run over in the process!).

While cranking, it would only fire on four cylinders and not start. I could start it on LPG and switch back to petrol and it would run OK, but with the above problem.

Also, the output of the lambda sensor was leaping around all over the place.

The injectors are connected in two banks of four - and I wondered if one bank was not working (that would explain all the symptoms).

After a bit of testing - I discovered - yes, you guessed it - a blown fuse! One bank of injectors was running, the other had no power. Doh!

It now roars like it's supposed to. Now comes the job of tuning it up a bit - but at first glance it's not too bad already.

Moral of this story - check the obvious first!

Si

Moral of this story - check the obvious first!

Si

Yep, looks like my EFI problem was............a battery!! Knacked battery that didnt keep its volts ment it would not power the EFi...hence missfire after a while (Alternator was keeping it going at high revs!)

Tell you what Adrian. If you come pick them up - you can have them!

Si

Does it start with less than 60 seconds cranking now Si? Yours is the only engine I know that has been turned more by electric then by fuel. :P

Chris

Does it start with less than 60 seconds cranking now Si? Yours is the only engine I know that has been turned more by electric then by fuel. :P

Chris

Well, it did start on the 1st revolution of the engine from cold - until the starter motor expired! It was a new one bought on ebay a month or two ago. The most polite thing the vendor suggested was that I buy another one! Once I find a starter - I reckon it will give the diesels a run for their money on the starting front!

Si