Discovery ride height. & Bearmach/Britpart hd springs

Ratty43

I measured the the distance from the ground to the highest point of the roof bars on my 200tdi Discovery today and came up with the answer that it is sitting about four inches low(it's on standard 235 75 r16 so it should match the visor info). While it does look a bit lower than others round here four inches seems a hell of drop since it still sits perfectly level although it doesn't like carrying weight in the back. Does anyone know what the measurement is meant to be from the hub centre to the wheel arch lip?

Since the need for new springs appears to be there what have been peoples' experience of Bearmach and Britpart standard height heavy duty springs? I intend to start adding goodies so want to buy new springs and shocks that will take the inreases (winch and tent etc).

Cheers, Ratty

Thanks Les. As an alternative and to keep things standard would changing to the Disco winch kit fronts and the stiffer early rear springs (NTC8477 and NTC8572) achieve the same thing without upsetting my insurance company? Or am I more likely to end up with it being all over the place?

thats one hell of a loss of height....However bad the springs and shocks were, would they drop that much?..

Also, not that it makes much diff, but are 235\75\16 standard?..i thought standard was 205\somat\16 ?

best thing is to try and park it next to another one in asda or some other carpark and take a look at both from distance?..try and gauge where your loosing the height...

if they are gone that bad....your gonna notice a difference when you stick some new ones on ;)

Rich

I meant to put 235 70, these are standard on the alloys but are the same height as the 205 80 fitted to steel wheels. I agree with you on how far it's dropped and it doesn't look that much lower than the others round here, perhaps a couple of inches but then all the others tend to be run on a shoe string too so are probably going the same way. What seems odd to me is that it sits perfectly level although it was hitting the bump stops with a few logs in the back despite it being well below the weight limits. The four inch loss is with a nearly empty tank and nothing in the vehicle so must be a fair bit worse when it's loaded up.

Thanks for that, I was after peoples impressions of them over time. Think I might take the plunge and try the combination of LR springs as above although I'm a bit concerned that the back is going to end up very high.

I mentioned this in another recent thread that I've got std height, Bearmach blue HD springs, but I too believe they are softer than should be. I am (my car is) also sagging on one corner, and this is less than 4 months since I put the new springs on. Difficulty is that when they went on first the ride was transformed for the better, but over time with all things you just get used to it. Might be the same as was (apart from the sagging corner), but doesn't feel quite right. I got no response by the way, from either the people I bought them from (Mailorder 4x4) or Bearmach themselves when asking for advice on the sagging.

A local (non-LR) dealer recommended TerraFirma springs/shocks etc., and a friend got these (independently by the way) and think they're great!

Scott

is this a reappearance of the sagging 200's again??

my first disco, a J reg 200 tdi, had a nasty lean to one corner, that not even new shocks and springs could cure, i found out that for some reason, that particular age were prone to it, and that the rear springs were handed, aftermarket ones aren't......

i've had HD bearmach springs on the back end of mine for nearly 12 months now (and they were 2nd hand when i fitted them), and not had any noticeable drop. it barely deflects when i hitch a loaded ifor williams up to it, unless it's been badly loaded.

just measured mine and it's 480mm from the centre of the wheel to the arch lip

Thanks for all the replys so far. As I've said the strange thing is that the Disco isn't sagging in any one direction but the whole car is about 4 inches too low when measuring to the roof. If I use the the earlier NTC8572 springs they would give the load requirements but as they are about an inch longer than the standard for my vehicle I'm assumin they'll end up far too high until I can afford to stick more weight in it, could carry some cement I suppose. These would be the correct ones for Disco al's J reg so I might alsoend up with differing heights corner to corner. That said I did wonder if matched to winch kit Disco springs it would end up about level and I could add things progressively front and back. Life would be much simpler if there wasn't so much choice!

When I look at the picture from the website where I bought them, it would appear they are "handed"... at least they appear to all be different heights. I didn't notice this when fitting them however, in fact I'd say the rears and fronts were even (left to right, but not front to back!). I sense an evening of swearing and spring compressors once again to swap left to right.

post-11857-127972650773_thumb.jpg

I expect the shocks are obscuring one's view of the wedge the springs are on. Half way through fitting a set of bargain rock sliders and noticed that the close together coils on the rear springs are touching each other which gives a good indication of the state of them.

I'd be interested in how you get on swapping the springs round as the results might sway me in favour of the blues. Frankly with all the jobs needed for the MOT I could do without this bit but might as well do the lot while it's off the road.

Funny, I've got Britpart +1 inch springs on mine (220lb/in rears), they went on 3+ years ago and it still sits at the same height as when they were new and is absolutely level. It's done its fair share of work shifting tools, garden stuff and I even had an LT77 & LT230 in the boot once!

I must have had the one good set :ph34r:

That's the problem, ignoring the usual don't use Britpart problem (I have yet to have a fualt on anything from them) a lot of people seem to say they ahve springs from them without problem and about an equal number say the opposite, the same goes for Bearmach. This is why I'm considering the LR springs above but it seems easier to get a matched set.

I run Britpart standard height HD springs, have done for about a year and had absolutely no issues with them. The Disco sits approximately 40mm higher than standard springs 'cos it doesn't sag as much.

The front pair are longer than the rear pair, which have thicker wire coils .. ;)

Standard LR springs for mine were similar, longer at front, thicker at rear.

To be honest that seems to be the way with most of the aftermarket stuff that I can afford but I haven't had a problem with the Britpart stuff I've fitted. They do a car set of heavy duty springs and super gaz shocks for £150 which means the springs will cost about £50 so I suppose that if they only last a couple of years it's not exactly expensive.

Hi guys, just my 2 pence worth,

i've got bearmach +2" springs on my disco 200tdi, have had for the last 3 years, have been and gone places i possibly shouldn't have and defo been some places i defo shouldn't have been, i've also towed most things from a trailer full of logs with more in the truck to a 2.5 tonne mini exc and all these really frequently and i've had absolutely no probs with the springs in any way. They arent handed btw, just fronts and rears. IMHO i think they're well worth the money, interestingly enough i've never had a problem with mailorder 4x4 they've always been on the ball and answered anything i have asked them. HOWEVER (and again this is only my opinion) do not buy the suspension kit thats pictured in this thread, i have had nothing but carp supplied with pro comp written on the side, blown shocks time after time after time. fitted decarbon +2" never had a prob since. awesome, fit and forget, will take anything and the ride is fantastic on and off road.

good luck with what you are doing.

Thanks Diki001, I'm thinking of going with the Britpart set as the shocks look good and I've read a lot of bad reviews on the pro-comp set, I would go with Decarbon but I've got a fair amount of bits required for the MOT so they are out of budget. If I don't like the springs then I'll change them when I've recovered from the MOT. I'm in Pendeen, near Land's end.

well mate i'm in Saltash, a bit of a way away but if i can help let me know. p.s. decarbon +50mm, £100 per pair delivered from JGS 4x4 if you are interested, i know their not the cheapest but they arent the most expensive either and they last. going for supergaz shocks????? :(

That's the trouble with Cornwall, worse when driving back from somewhere, cross the border and I've still got another hour and a half to go. Thanks for the offer. Britpart all round it is, cheapest option which is nescessary at the moment. I'll change it as and when for something decent if they don't work out. Can't be any worse than the four knackered springs and two dead shocks I took out yesterday, I thought the front bushes were to blame but it turns out the shocks have virtually no resistance and a completely inoperative section for the last three inches.