insurance advice

steve_a

Looking for some insurance advice.

I currently have a nissan micra (about 2 years old) that the wife insures and my modified 90 which I insure.

I am about to change jobs and move, I'm positive that I will need to have a car a bit more suited to a 50 mile round trip than the 90 (truck cab!).

I was looking at a RR someone I know is selling as I can be pretty sure it is good condition etc. I've just been on the phone to the insurance (SureTerm) and I can't seem to get a sensible quote.

I want to move the 90 to limited mileage, but keep the value at about £4500, the RR I don't care about so was looking at TPF&T, but the quotes are coming out at £530 - £700 because I can't count any no claims for the RR which would bring it down to the £300 mark.

What's the best way of getting the vehicles insured? I thought that the 90 would have been the greater risk due to roll cage, winch and lift kit, but the RR is killing me. Should I just forget it and buy a disco or some nasy runabout?

Is there some trick to getting a few cars insured at sensible prices, I wanted to change the 90 to just myself since SWMBO won't even drive it (had to laught he said it was cheaper to leave her on as they think it will be driven more sensibly if we have kids in it, I guess I should just ratchet strap them down in the back!).

I never seem to get much luck with insurance.

Put your NCB on the RR and insure the 90 on a limited milage policy. For the 90 policy they should take into consideration your NCB as a guide to your risk level and price the policy accordingly. I have done this in the past when insuring a 3rd vehicle and have then subsequently (after selling 2nd vehicle) used my NCB to insure what was the 3rd vehicle and it has made no difference to the cost.

Call Adrian Flux

Use your no claims to insure the RR and put your 90 on a mod policy with agreed value and limited mileage. They have limited mileage policies for the 90 that don't need no claims.

Did the same when I ran two RR's plus the hybrid

Cheers

Steve

Call Adrian Flux

Use your no claims to insure the RR and put your 90 on a mod policy with agreed value and limited mileage. They have limited mileage policies for the 90 that don't need no claims.

Did the same when I ran two RR's plus the hybrid

Cheers

Steve

Totally agree call Adrian Flux seems to be the only broker who knows what they are doing.

Regards Keith

Go to an insurer and ask about the possibility of their offering you an "introductory" bonus for your second car if you bring the first one to them. The NFU seem to have the flexibility to offer this - I got a large NCB for my road legal quad on the basis that I would insure the LR with them (full NCB, fingers crossed) when the renewal was due some months later. I think that is going to be next month.

Last year I got a motor traders policy. On the basis of working from home as a full time buyer and seller of cars (There seems to be no requirement to be a successful buyer and seller ;) ) I got a policy that would cover me fully comp on ANY vehicle I own or that is in my care, custody or control up to a maximum value of £7,500. IIRC it cost me about £550 - with full bonus. The down sides are that you cannot protect your NCB or get windscreen cover. You can add the wife, brother-in-law, mate etc to the policy if you desire.

Chris

"Is there some trick to getting a few cars insured at sensible prices, "

I had this problem recently.. I have full NCB on my V70 with Directline(£305), a LR110 insured with NFU with a reasonable first qt without NCB for £186 but when I asked them to quote me to add the disco, they wanted

an extra £800+ pa.stating that I could not use my NCB twice, I felt this was extreemly unreasonable as I can only drive one at a time,,,

Anyway after a few days on the net I found a company that was prepaired to MIRROR my NCB with directline(but you will need to show this) and the qt for the disco was accepted at £207pa third party fire & t....

The broker is: A Quote insurance, Andover. 0870 444 6333

Hope this helps

Lawrence