Slotted bushes for front articulation?

deslandes

Good afternoon everybody,

I want to add front articulation to my 90, I already have a complete Gwyn Lewis kit and I want more front articulation, but without 3-links.

I've heard about "slotted bushes" or 3 bush of one type and another one different or anything else...

With google, I find "Haultech Engineering slotted front bushes", an australian company, but nothing really clear about this company, already exist or not?

In Uk, is there any "slotted bushes" manufacturer?

Thx

The thread on pirate from the link above only shows the early work with drilled holes, not the final moulded bushes.

The rubber surface where the hole is drilled is more prone to tearing than the surface of a moulded hole in rubber.

The mould that was made, produces larger voids than can be produced by drilling. They (and drilled bushes) have a shorter life than standard bushes - that is the cost for maximum articulation from Land Rover radius arms. This is not much of an issue for vehicles not used on road much.

Some years after this, Toyota and Nissan have made slotted bushes standard in Land Cruiser and Patrols. The voids in their bushes are not as radical as Haultech bushes, so their life span and on road handling is not an issue. Both use larger diameter bushes than Land Rover so they can deform more before the life of the rubber is significantly affected (the deformation as a percentage of thickness is one of the main factors affecting life of flexible parts made from elastomer). The downside of the larger bushes is that they have to be spaced further apart, which creates a vicious circle when chasing best articulation.

I would like bushes similar to the Nissan examples, for a Land Rover that is also driven long distances on road like I do - unfortunately I don't know of any.

This is one of my favourite modifications!

It can be done at no cost, only takes an hour or so and the results beat everything except multi-link setups.

Si

Simon, what size hole have you found to be best ?

Cheers

Gordon

here you go

Thx a lot Jad ;-)

Does it work as good as 10mm holes in rubber one?

Any pict of your 90 crossaxle?

Here mine... Absolutely bad, I have got complete gwyn lewis kit, perfect really, particularly on the rear, and looking to make it better from the front ;-)

p1070890.jpg

p1070938.jpg

Regards

I tried to buy some slotted bushes from Haultech - but wasn't able to get enough replies from them to finish the transaction.

What replies did you need? I had no email exchange with Sam but sent the money by bank transfer and bushes arrived. These are the best you can get for a land rover (drilling your own don't last as long and polybush have their own issues) and there are only two sizes to choose from.

this doesnt show it very well but i dont have a better picture really. need to take it up a twist off ramp!

The movement on the front end is now restricted by the plus 5 inch dampers. My suspension is the mostly gywn lewis parts

post-19190-128129363962_thumb.jpg

this doesnt show it very well but i dont have a better picture really. need to take it up a twist off ramp!

The movement on the front end is now restricted by the plus 5 inch dampers. My suspension is the mostly gywn lewis parts

Really nice front travel ! And thx for advice ;-)