Winch questions

Rich_P

I'd like a winch. It isn't for competitive use, it is for merely getting a stuck Land Rover unstuck again (i.e. my 88). Are the cheap brand winches worth their money?

What is a second hand TDS 9,000lb likely to fetch?

Superwinch seem pretty good value for money, or oddly enough a friend of mine had a britpart winch. It was cracking, 12000lb and always pulled, just incredibly slowly. Warn XD9000 are really good too, but usually expensive. A second hand TDS 9000? possibly £200 ish?

Some cheaper winches don't use good quality metal for the gearboxes and I have seen some strip the gears. Although an old series is only light :P

TDS from goodwinch is proberly your best bet if you dont want to do any maintence on it. Just stripped mine down after 2.5 years and it wasnt too bad, Not completely water proof (although my own fault as i didnt seal the bits goodwinch recomend) also if you buy at a show goodwinch pay the VAT.

Dave.

Cheap winches are a mixed bag - some good and some less good.

What you are buying with the likes of David Bowyer is the confidence that what you buy will be good - no gamble, Having said that, the TDS winches from DB & Winch Solutions are very good value too. I have one on the front of my 110 and wouldn't swap it for anything!

Si