Advice Needed

Ok. Bare with me here.

As some of you know im in the middle of building a 110.

It has a TD5 chassis, plastic TD5 fuel tank, but a fuel pump from a P38 RR. This is because il be running a 4.6 RV8.

Now as it stands i do not have ANY wiring harnesses, however i have ordered YNN000151

YNN000151

The problem im finding difficult to resolve is wiring up my fuel pump (STC4344).

Microcat shows that there should be a fuel tank harness AMR1494 that goes between the chassis harness and the fuel pump. However AMR1494 has a 2 pin electrical connection.

AMR1494

Whereas my fuel pump has a 4 pin electrical connection. What do i need to do / what parts do i need in order to wire my fuel pump up?

You are perfectly correct. Im sure the 2 pin connector isnt right (AMR1494). However, im at a loss in finding one that is right.

According to microcat AMR1494 is correct - but then again we all know how sh*te brilliant microcat can be at times.... laugh.gif

AMR1494 is a 300Tdi tank sender connector lead.

RR2 (aka P38) has LH & RH body wiring harness, not a chassis one like Defender, so the tank sender connector is as far as I can tell from microcat part of one of these body wiring harness assemblies, but it don't tell me which side.

Ah haaa! That ties in with what has been said above, that AMR1494 is indeed a TDi part.... Shame on you microcat!

Im hopeful then that the harness im waiting on will be able to plug straight onto my pump. If indeed microcat has got my chassis harness number correct, then it will already have a 4 pin connector - which is precisely what i need. Does that make sense?

Phil,

I've only just seen your PM about AMR1494 and the link to a picture of it on X-MoD.

Once I saw the picture I realised that I've seen loads of those, new and bagged, at LR Shows/Autojumbles for little or no money.

It doesn't look as though it should be what Microcat says it is :unsure:

But according to Microcat (see attachment in Wiring Harness Advice), it's fitted from VIN JA onwards (that's 200Tdi), it's also shown as being fitted to Puma Defenders, MY07 onwards :unsure:

Looking at the fuel tank circuit diagram for a TD5 Defender -

post-148-128157342654_thumb.jpg

The fuel tank connector is C0114 -

post-148-128157341061_thumb.jpg

The wires from which, go through C0392/C0378 junction, which is on the bulkhead -

post-148-128157341679_thumb.jpg . post-148-128157341369_thumb.jpg

So working from that, the tank connector must be part of the chassis harness, as C0392/C0378 is one of the junctions between the chassis harness and the main harness and the circuit diagram shows no breaks in the wires between C0114 and C0392.

Your next problem - P38 Fuel Pump/Sender

According to RAVE, the Petrol P38 uses (what looks like) the same tank connector as the TD5 Defender -

post-148-128157342272_thumb.jpg

The P38 fuel tank circuit looks very similar -

post-148-128157342072_thumb.jpg

Although the Defender doesn't have all those ECUs (although, an Inertia Fuel Cut-Off Switch might be a good idea) and has a rather simpler circuit at the Instrument end -

post-148-128157340799_thumb.jpg

The pictures from RAVE that Ralph has posted are for the Diesel model, which (according to RAVE) has a different connector to the Petrol model.

The circuits look to be the same -

• Fuel Pump Live = Pin 1
  • Fuel Pump Earth = Pin 4
  • Sender Live = Pin 2
  • Sender Earth = Pin 3

Although, as I said in the post above, the way the fuel gauge/low fuel light works on each vehicle appears to be different, I can't see why your P38 Tank Unit shouldn't just plug in and work with the Defender wiring.