series door tops

Hi there,

I've got a soft top 90 and have fitted some series doors/tops.

I've got the passenger side to fit quite nicely, however the drivers side is a pain in the posterior.

Basically the door top leans out when the door is closed giving a gap between the door top and the windscreen pillar (that is where it is worst).

I originally fitted a plastic shim underneath each hinge part, then tried removing them. There appears to have been no difference between what I had and what I have got now (gap wise).

Does anyone have any hints as to how to position the door/hinge WRT shims etc. Do I just need to get a few more and try with a couple of shims under each hinge?

Cheers for any advice.

(p.s. or should I just fill the gap with silicon sealent and go whistle!! :o:rolleyes: )

I once saw an article where someone notched, bent and re-welded the 2 big pins (7/16ths or 5/8ths?) that pass through the door bottom from the door top. This gives the door top an "inward set" and prevents the problem you've got.

Seemed to work quite well.

HTH

Mark

I do have the rubber strip, however its old/original. Maybe I should try a fresh one and see if it makes a difference.

Interesting idea about notching / welding the pins - just wish I could weld!!

Speaking of that - I could do with replacing one of those pins anyway as it's fairly nasty. Are these just a standarf theaded rod or are they specific somehow? Does anyone know a part number?

Ta

Standard threaded rod would do the trick, but there is no part number, because they are welded into the door top, both on the bottom face (against the door) and the top face (under the window track). But as you can't weld ....

They do need welding to both the upper and lower faces. Trying to 'bolt' a threaded rod with to just the bottom face would leave the door top even more floppy than standard.

It's a UNF thread - you can measure the diameter yourself.

Good Luck.