Chassis 'freshening'

nickliv

My Dad has a gritblasting / painting company, and we're thinking of lifting my '90 up on the forklift and sandblasting and painting as much of the chassis and axles atc. as we can. Then blowing off all the dust / carp, etc. and spraying it with an industrial paint.

Is it a rubbish idea to do this? The chassis isn't knackered, but is going brown where the old waxoyl / underseal has come off.

Just make sure to use the correct stuff.

Ive had brilliant results with bonda zinc primer. Some people may say to use etch primer first - dont. Brush a heavy coat of bonda primer on and let it cure. It sticks like sh*t to a shovel. Then you could do worse than put a few coats of POR-15 chassis paint on. That will leave a very tough coating, though its very glossy. Id just spray some matt black over that.

Check the results ive had with it in my build thread...

Phil

I've just done the back half of mine the hard way, wire brush and a zinc-rich paint (Galvafroid). It certainly looks a lot better and, while I know I've missed the bits I can't wire-brush or paint easily, it's definitely a step up on where it was previous - and now the mud washes off easier too!

If you're going to the effort of blasting it go the entire way and pull the body off, blast the whole thing and galvanize. If you're at all like me you'll start, not be happen, then just end up re-doing it later.

Sadly I don't have the time to pull the body off, and we can get the accessible bits blasted and primed in an afternoon. The rest will be steam cleaned and slathered in 2 pack zinc rich primer, and overcoated in underseal / waxoylesque product.

Fuel lines, brake lines, wiring etc. will be masked off with gaffer tape, which resists being blasted with silica sand rather well. We're not going for a 'bare metal' /SA2.5 type finish, just to fire the loose crud off and pull off any old coatings.

Instead of waxoyl, i would highly advise spraying on 3M body schutz at around 90 PSI.

This stuff dries almost completely and leaves a tough, rubbery coating. Unlike waxoyl, nothing will stick to it... ;) I wouldnt use anything else now that ive used it on my 110 build.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just done my defender 90 with cavity wax inside the chassis,bulkhead,rear crossmember and all door pillars,then used an underbody coating for the outside of the chassis,i got all the stuff from Wayside adhesives and cant praise their products enough,i was going to use anti stonechip, but if it gets scratched off when green laneing then water would get in behind it,with the under body coating you can just apply more over the top,this stuff sticks really well to the chassis and gives a tough protective finish,and mud comes off with a hose pipe,i used 6 x 1 ltr cans to do my chassis.

http://www.waysideadhesives.com/index.php