Taking off EAS

grumbleweed

Right - just taken off the airbags in anticipation of the springs that will hopefully arrive tomorrow.

REALLY easy to do. You need two jacks, the LR one to raise and lower the axle, and a jack on the chassis.

Big flathead screwdriver to remove clips top and bottoms, two each end. Small things they are and are easily removed. Next remove pipework from unit - i cut mine as i am not replacing the springs with bags- see rave manual on how to remove pipes without marmalising the pipe. A small cut will introduce a nice hiss to de-pressurise the bag. DONT use snips to do this as it will go off like a noisy thing!!

Once bag is depressurised, using the axle jack, lower the axle about 4-5 inches. This will give you enough room to simply pull the unit out of the mountings!!

It's the same for front and rear. The front is a little more tricky, as the unit is taller, and the brakepipes are in the way a little. I had to drop the axle another couple of inches to get it out.

After thats all done - go under drivers seat - remove 30 amp fuse and relays.

Remove wheels

EAS001.jpg

Jack up chassis

EAS004.jpg

Rear Airbag

EAS002.jpg

Rear Airbag removed

EAS004.jpg

Other side rear

EAS012.jpg

Airbag removed

EAS013.jpg

Rear airbag stretched out to see damage - LOTS of cracks around base

EAS014.jpg

EAS010.jpg

Front de-pressurised

EAS015.jpg

Front removed - see different bumpstops as fitted to EAS cars

EAS016.jpg

All 4 bags - note the difference in the front and rear units.

EAS017.jpg

Just curious. I did the same conversion a while back; I bottled out of having loose springs on the front and got shock absorbers to go up the middle of the springs. Having thought about it (assuming you fit retainers) I can't see you'd have a problem . Nigel

I am going to clip the top of the spring onto the mounting in any case.

• 2 weeks later...

disagree- ride is much nicer in my opinion.

Shocks are normal coil spec ones - wrong for the EAS so quite handy!!

You're comparing worn out (hard) air springs with fresh coil springs - it ought to be better! Having the wrong dampers on won't have been helping at all either.

I've never really compared a properly sorted EAS car with a properly sorted coiler (when I've driven them back to back one has always been tired), but I'd expect the coiler to have a softer ride (more the fabled Range Rover 'magic carpet') and the EAS vehicle to have significantly better handling. Assuming standard springs, of course.

My LSE handles very nicely, but you are right any uprated shocks are not valved right for EAS and can make the ride crashy on a bad road. I have Arnott GIII sprinsg so I need to use longer shocks to get the best out of them. The longest shock I can fit is plus 2" on the back without the shock bottoming out when the system deflates.

Apparently Bilstein can make bespoke shocks for my car but it costs £80 a shock for the modifications.