defender engine 200 or 300 tdi into a 90

Tibout

hi there just some clarifications, if i manage to source a 200 or 300 tdi engine, how much modification are there more than using a disco 200tdi? i'm aware about the disco but don't know nothing of what to expect with a defender engine. any advice is wellcome :)

thanks a mil

Thierry

I'm assuming you mean into an earlier 90 (ie. 2.5 NA or TD etc.). In that case the Defender fitments are a lot easier to shoehorn in. The mods one has to make usually are to do with the differences of the Disco engine.

I would put a 200 in, because they're cheaper and have the same power output as a 300Tdi....just less refined! :)

yeah i meant an early 90 mine is a 2.5TD. i might get a 2.5 TDI defender engine. i know if it's from a disco there's the exhaust down pipe, radiator mounting, clutch pipe, intercooler hose etc which need modifications. will it be easier if it's a from a defender itself? what are the modications needed fro a defender TDI into an early 90?

thanks

thierry

Have just fitted a defender 200tdi to a late TD. If you get the engine, radiator, intercooler, air filter, fuel filter, exhaust and all pipework it is a simple bolt in job. Even the engine wiring loom plugs into the existing multiplug on the bulkhead and all guages and warning lights function as expected.

The only modification required is the fitting of the tdi heat circuit timer. I did not bother with the timer and just wired them into the heat position on the key which seems to function adequately.

It`s the only engine conversion I have done that has required no welding, chopping and changing pipework, or major rewiring. As a result it looks like it was fitted that way from the factory.

Kevin, all you'd need to do is bolt on the existing power steering pump to the 200 tdi defender engine, as they use the same mountings onto the side of the block which makes it easier to do if you get the defender engine instead of the disco one.

This has got to be the easiest engine conversion as some else pointed out known to the land rover community, so easy if you know what you're doing and all you want to do is get the engine into the engine bay and start using it the same day-easy in the fact that I've managed to do one on my own in 4-5 hours that's taking the old TD out and putting the newish 200tdi lump and ancillaries into one of my old 90's

John

hi there sorry for the late reply, was away to collect the defender 200tdi engine ;) it's in th shed now and i'll start the conversion in about a week. so it seems there's no welding or chopping :) do i need the whole exhaust system or just the down pipe from the 200tdi vehicle?

thanks again guys

thierry

Kevin I used the 200tdi power steering pipes, but as suggested you can use the TD power steering pump because the mountings are the same. Bottom hose is a standard defender 200 tdi item. I was lucky in that I had a very rusty complete 200tdi 90 as a donor, so I had a complete kit of parts.

Thierry I used the downpipe and main box from the standard 200tdi exhaust system and made my own tailpipe that exited in the standard position behind the back wheel, removing the box under the rear tub. The standard back section would have fitted and appeared to line up with the hangers. I did have to move the exhaust hanger on the A frame crossmember to the rear of the first box a few cms to one side.

Thierry, you can use the existing down pipe you have, it's a straight nut and bolt conversion you'll see how easy it is once you get started-remember to replace the earth's onto the block from the chassis and remember make sure the cooling system doesn't have any airlocks in it too

John

200 tdi disco is a fair bit of faffing to fit to a def.

200tdi def is a straight drop in less glow plug timer as above.

300 disco or def, both the same engine, will need engine mounts moving.

check PAS box fittings. it depends what bolt box you currently have fitted. if 4bolt then prob ok.

hi guys thanks again.how do i make sure that the cooling system is not air lock? i think i might use my own down pipe which is on the td. i'll have a look at both engine tomorrow and see how they both look. and also can i use the TD power steering pump and pipe? i guess so.

tahnks

thierry

The way I got told to fill my cooling system on my recon engine from turners was to fill it through the pipework that goes from the heater box into the cylinder head and that would ensure no airlocks-this is the way I've done it now when I've had to change the cam belt to refill it after changing the belt

And yes you can use the complete power steering pump/pipework and box from the TD to use on your conversion too

The TD down pipe is a straight fit onto the TDI manifold from the trubo

HTH

John